Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Awsome weekend, with a question. >

Awsome weekend, with a question.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Awsome weekend, with a question.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Awsome weekend, with a question.

Well, I was fortunate enough to have the 3rd thru the 6th off of workl to hunt. And it started great.
Thursday after work I shot a turkey with my bow. Which was cool becuase I have been wanted to do that for a couple years.

Friday morning I saw 2 nice bucks 1 small buckand a doe, include a big 8 pt (lower 120s)that i watched from my stand for about 15min. at 35 yrds that never offered a clean shot within range.

Saturday night I saw a nice buck that gave me a great show. He was cruizing by at about 80 yds, when I grunted. He grunted back and started heading somewhat my way, at 50yrdsstoped and ripped up a sapling, I gunted again. He grunted again and headed straight at me. At 20 yrds he stoped and made another rub. then continued past me at 7yrds. I was in full draw and passed him because, I think there is a nicer one in the area. (because of his dark rack it was just dark enough I could not count points). I keep second guessing that maybe I should have shot him, because he did have nice mass. But I'll never know now.

Sunday morning (this is where I have a question) I saw about 12 deer including a nice 10pt (high 120s low 130s).I was watching about 6 doe come up the trail behind my stand when movement caught my eye from the other direction. I turned my head to see a doe being follwed by this 10pt at 40 yrds. At 21 yrds he stoped behind a tree, I'm in full draw waiting for just 1 more step, when he turns around to head up the hill. at 33 yrds i stoped him in a opnening, and shot.
I heard a terrible sound (simmilar to if you shoot an arrow into a 2x4) (I thougth I hit the front shoulder)the buck ran down hill about 40yrds and stopped behind a tree. when he started moving again I could swear I saw my arrow in his rack. and as he ran away I could hear the loud springing action as the arrow hit trees and brush. a half hour later I got down to check for blood (in complete disbelief of hitting his rack)I followed his tracks in the snow for over 200yrds without ever seeing a hair or drop of blood. And then I lost them into a mess of feeding and running tracks from the night before and that morning. I beilieve my arrow deflected off a branch that I did not noticeabout 15ydrsshort of the deer.
My question is: what are your thoughts of the likelyhood of my arrow
actually embedding itself into his antler? My arrow was definately in him when he ran away, and I just don't know what to think.
That night I passed on a smaller 8pt. that came down the same trail as the 10 and gave me a 17yrd shot.
Monday night I caw another mid sized 8 pt. at about 50 yds.
I hunted a bunch of different spots all weekend, and saw a bunch of different bucks , but I only saw 2 bucks chasing doe. I had a great few days of hunting, but also a very disapointing lost oportunity.

Oh well I'll be back out next weekend.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Awsome weekend, with a question.

Someone is going to see this deer later and say what the hell? That will be some trophy. I had a great weekend also, killing a nice 8 pointer. Sounds like you are in a real hotspot. Maybe you will get another shot at the deer. That would be an interesting mount, with the arrow lodged in the antler.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:42 PM

Default RE: Awsome weekend, with a question.

Yeah, It would would definately make for an awsome conversation piece. Actually I hunted several different spots in NY and PA seeing deer in both. I only hunted 2 of the stands more than once over the weekend. (the one where I missed the 10pt. and the one where I watched the nice 120s 8 point, I hunted each of those one afternoon and one morning. I don't like to over hunt any of my stands. Where I missed the 10pt is where I hunted last year the 1st day of shotgun, I'll be there this first day as well. If possible I like to hunt each one just 2 or 3 times a season.
I would love to get a second chance at that buck with shotgun or bow. I just don't know how good the chances are of him come back thru there. Although he did not see or smell me.