Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question on stand location for last weekend. >

Question on stand location for last weekend.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on stand location for last weekend.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on stand location for last weekend.

I hunt the 'big woods' in NH. No farmland, no fields etc. In the last 3 1/2 weeks I have seen 16 deer, which is above my yearly average. Our deer numbers are low, about 10-12 deer per square mile. That's 10-12 deer, not bucks.

Anyway, our season is now bucks only. I have seen bucks at one treestand near open hardwoods. I have also seen bucks at the edge of cuttings, just last Sat amand also seen a buck at the edge of a big swamp. It seems no matter where I decide to hunt, I have been into deer 2 out of 3 times in the woods, even with little deer sign. I usually see deer less than 1/2 the time.

So, where would you recommend I setup this final weekend. Where ever that is, I will be 20 feet up, either in my stand or using my self climber. I will also be there from dark 'til dark. The rut is basically over and I have seen deer this time of year at all 3 locations. Maybe I'll just flip a coin and hope for the best.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on stand location for last weekend.

At the edge of the swamp, hands down. If you can find an area where they exit it, you won't have a shortage of meat. Good luck!