Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I NEED HELP

Old 11-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Spike

Default I NEED HELP

Hi my name is justin and i am 13 and i live in central ME. I have hunted deer in a very good location for 4 years and have been unlucky enough to somehow not shoot one yet. The place we go to is about 40 minutes away so its not an option for afterschool. Today after school my dad wasnt home to go hunting with so i donned my hunting clothes and took a walk down my neighbors property (he lives in mexico)...this summer they had clear cut a ridge right down to a swamp with some swail grass in it so we were gonna try sitting there this wednesday. Well after sitting there for an hour or so i started back up his long dirt drive way, About 200 yards from his house next to the road there is a swamp with a little stream running out of it that drains out of a pond behing my house. Me and my friend were squirrel hunting by the pond and we noticed some deer tracks but we never thought of it....well as im walking towards the swamp i can just see it through the trees when i hear a CRASH!!!.....i looked up and 2 does and a nice 8 point buck crashed out of the swail 50 yards away....for one i didnt have my gun with me but i wouldnt have got a shot anyway....i might have if i was more quiet and got closer....i need to ask my dad about it its legal to hunt that far away from ny neighbors house but if it is does anybody have any suggestions or ideas as to wether those deer willl show up there again???...any help will be appreciated
Old 11-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Spike

Default RE: I NEED HELP

Evening Justin,
I believe those deer will come back in there. The rut is now and that buck was breeding or about to breed with those does. He's gonna follow them. Tell your Dad what you saw & I'm sure you guys can work out a way to hunt that buck. Remember to watch the wind. Your Dad can work on getting permission & checking the regulations.
Hey, Good Luck!
Bill
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I NEED HELP

Very good advice I agree find a good stand location and only hunt it with a good wind and if legal use a doe decoy and set a trail of estrus doe urine i bet that will work! good luck kid i hope you nail him keep me posted i want to know if you get him