Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Idaho Whitetail questions

Old 11-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Spike

Default Idaho Whitetail questions

I am going to be hunting east of Salmon, Idaho starting the weekend after Thanksgiving. This is a late season Whitetail hunt using short range weapons so I will be using my muzzleloader. I have never hunted Idaho for Whitetail and was wondering if bucks will be in rut at this time. I would also like to know if tree stands and rattling work in this area.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idaho Whitetail questions

You have to find out when the primary rut is. The secondary rut is about 30 days after that.If you are going with an outfitter he should be able to answer your questions. If not the local DNR.It sounds to early for a secondary rut at that point.Locate the food source and you got half the battle licked. Good Luck
Old 11-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Spike

Default RE: Idaho Whitetail questions

Thanks for the response 130woodman. I will be hunting private property with about 2 miles of creek bottom. Along this entire creek bottom there is alfalfa fields so I guess this would be the primary food source since the property owner tells me there are always deer in these fields. I plan to find a location for my tree stand that will overlook the field and also the creek bottom. By the way, I too think the way you do regarding passing on small bucks.