Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Code Blue Tarsal Gland?

Old 10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Spike

Default Code Blue Tarsal Gland?

I recently purchased some Code Blue Tarsal Gland scent. I was expecting the usual gel in a bottle type. However, when I got it I was surprised and a bit confused. Inside the bottle is a little mesh sack sitting in liquid. My question is how the heck do I use this thing? It says drag and hang. Do I just drag this sack or will that over scent? Does that mean it is single use? Dip a drag rag in the liquid? Open the sack? Throw the whole thing out? Help me out here!!!

Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Code Blue Tarsal Gland?

Are you serious? don't you think the scent might escape through the mesh. drag it or hang it. just like the title. or do both drag from car to your area to get deer to follow.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Spike

Yeah, I was serious. It seems likeit will disperse a lot of scent if I just drag the bag. I was just concerned about "over scenting" as I have read about before.

As for tying it to the car, now that is a good idea. I can get deer from all around to just follow me to the taxidermist and then Ill take my pick. That way I keep my truck clean too.

Next time I ask a question, Ill be sure that I already know the answer first! Thanks for the help, you are truly an asset to the forums.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

You could always just bounce it on the ground instead of dragging it ...
Follow the instructions , it won't leave any more scent than a drag rag would .
Old 11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I understand what you're asking. It seems like you'll end up using the whole jar at once, and might seem like way to much scentbeing introduced intothe area at one time. I would use it per the directions. And I don't think he meant you should tie it TO the car, but rather that you should drag in FROM the car to your stand. That's good advise.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Spike

Thanks for the responses. I do think it is a one time use thing, or maybe twice if I can stretch it and save some of the liquid. I will try "dragging and hanging" as directed.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

If it's an actual tarsal gland in a jar of buck pee you should be able to extend it's life by refilling the jar with more buck pee , a fresh tarsal has about a 2 week "shelf life" if you keep it refigerated between uses . The only downside I could see would be that the "multiple buck pee" smell might put them off , but then who's saying that the pee in the jar came from a single buck anyway ? Once you get your buck cut off the tarsals and baggie them for the freezer , then carefully extract the bladder and put the pee into a freezer safe container for later use as well . There's nothing better than fresh , and you'll know the buck that donated both personally . Next year you can retrieve the tarsals one at a time and chip off enough "peecicle" to soak it in before use as well as drag rag pee , reserving the remaining pee for a curiosity lure later in the season .
Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM

"peecicle" now thats got to be a new word ,I like that .Now to some serious stuff ,when you use a drag while you are draging you need to keep putting fresh pee on the drag .Every now and then as you get close you need to dip so the end of your drag ,where you hang it will be fresher .You don't want it to be fresher where you started than where you stopped .
Old 11-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made the mistake of opening that stuff in my vehicle once, it stunk for a week! BLECH!!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Next time I ask a question, Ill be sure that I already know the answer first! Thanks for the help, you are truly an asset to the forums.
LMAO, thats gotta be one of the funniest things that I have read on these forums! Thanks, laughing is a great way to start my day.