Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BUCKS FIGHTING WHILE HUNTING? >

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BUCKS FIGHTING WHILE HUNTING?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
45.12%
NO
54.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BUCKS FIGHTING WHILE HUNTING?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:49 AM

Default RE: HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BUCKS FIGHTING WHILE HUNTING?

Several years ago I saw two mule deer bucks fighting over a doe on a ridge above a coulee. While they fought I stalked them and got into position. When the fight was over I shot the loser which happened to be the slightly bigger of the two. They both had a 4x4 (8 point for some of you) rack. MV out!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I voted Yes. I haven't seen any full on knock-down drag out fights, but, I have seen some sparring.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

I saw a couple of small bucks locking horns and mixin it up a bit.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't seen it in the wild, but when I was a newbie hunter (40 years ago) I heard a sound that I couldn't identify just over the next rise.It wasn't until afew years later that I first saw a video with bucks fighting that I realized that was what I had heard.
From the sounds of it, they both had nice racks and were going at it pretty hard.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 PM

Yes, but I wasn't hunting. We were spotlighting and before you ask in Gates Co. NC it is legal as long as no weapons are in the truck. It is really fun after a long day hunting to come back to camp, unload and ride the fields looking at what your after. Anyway this night we came to one big field and right out in the middle there was a big 8 and a medium sized 8 or 10 going at if full force. The bigger buck was on the better end, but the smaller one was holding his own. I never realized how hard they fight. We watched them for probably 10 or 15 minutes. They covered an area probably 20 to 30 square feet and were throwing dirt everywhere. There were probably5 or6 other deer standing around watching. Seemed like mostly does, but there may have been some small bucks mixed in. That was more than 15 years ago and I was probably 15 or 16. I wanted to go back to the field during the daylight and see what that spot looked like the next day, but it wasn't land that we had leased. We also saw a black bear and a nice piebald buck that night. It was one of the best spotlighting night we ever had.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have saw soft sparring a couple of times. Never full blown try to kill eachother fight. It was really cool.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

I've seen at least a couple of fights every year for about the last 4 years. Last year, I was hunting near our fenceline by a feeder and food plot setup that was on my neighbor's side of the fence (he does not mind me hunting there, but we both know not to shoot across the fence onto the other's property). There,I got to see one of the most memorable things I have ever seen hunting or otherwise. Bucks were sparring every few minutes, but most fights were just light 'pushing matches' that neither buck was too aggressive about...except for one fight. There was a big bodied9 pointer that every deer had been very submissive to hanging around the feeder and nibbling around on clover. I remember seeing him at the feeder, raising his head and turning around to see another big, 10-point,160-class buck eating in the plot. He immediately turned around, laid his ears back and started walking stiff-legged toward the other deer. The big 10 pointer saw him coming, but did not posture at all. He just kept eating and made sure that theother buckwas in front of him. The 9-pt got about 10 ft from the other big guy and lunged at him. The fight was on. They fought pretty evenly for about 15 minutes, then the aggressor, the 9-pt, started to wear down. He, at one point, was pinned down on the down, but managed somehow to get his feet and keep fighting. After a few more minutes though, he gave up and disappeared into the woods. The big 10 pointer ran after him for about 15 yards, stopped and then went back to grazing. Just like nothing had happened.During the time of that brawl, there had also been 2 other fights going on...one of which, duringthat period, had 3 bucks involved! This was the most amazing sight and one of the times I wished I hadmy video camera. Never got a shot at either of those big bucks that day, but the memory of it will always be more of a trophy than most any antlers I will ever hold in my hands. That is why I go hunting. The chance of seeing something memorable that not many people have ever seen.