Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bucks fighting!

Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 PM

Default bucks fighting!

Iwas in my stand this afternoon in beautiful upper michigan and it was 81 degrees!!!!NEW RECORD FOR THIS DAY!anyway i heard a couple of bucks fighting about 75 yds away from my stand, they were hitting it pretty hard for this early in the season, my question is how do i call them to me? or do i just wait it out and hope that they will come in to the bait? yes baiting is legal here! (2 gal a day)
Old 10-01-2005, 08:34 PM

Default RE: bucks fighting!

While they are fighting? Forget about it. I believe you could walk up and kick them, and they still wouldn't know you are there. They get pretty focused when bangin heads.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait till the fight's over then give them a couple solid grunts. You might want to tickle the horns together a little bit too as that will prolly help make their decision to come in a lot easier.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

There prolly just spikes...or forkies..LOL
Old 10-02-2005, 09:59 AM

dueling unicorns probably
Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 AM

I would tickle some antlers just enough to get there attention.Once they start moving your way lay off of them and get ready.A grunt or 2 would help also.
Speaking of it bveing hot.Because of the heat I have my deer hanging in my basement because it is the coldest part of our home and my barn is too hot.Havent got my walk in cold yet.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I was walking out of the woods the other day being real quiet and spotted some movement about 100 yards away. My binos revealed a nice buck standing over a scrape I had found the day before. He walked behind a big double tree. I could see his butt moving but couldn't figure what he was doing. Finally he pushed another buckfrom behind the trees. So they sparred for probably 10 minutes off and on. While they tinkled horns I'd slowly move. When they stopped I froze. Then one of them crossed a ditch and got a drink. I'm about 60 yards away. The other crosses and they start again. I start ahead, worked the range finderand got to about 50 yards. Give me 10 more yards.... Give me 10 more yards. THey start again. I hadn't even taken a step and the one tired of the game and whirled away. They other went for him and off they went...... Oh for 10 yards. They crossed the forbidden property line and walked up the gully to the bedding area.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:42 AM

I didnt realize that you could hear me rattling! haha
Old 10-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

50 yds and they don't know your there? Did you have a clear shot at 50 yds. Is 40 your max on a deer? Just courious.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didnt realize that you could hear me rattling! haha
My thoughts exactly. Sometimes, it's just another hunter. I heard a fawn-in-distress call twice yesterday morning, and I'm certain it was another hunter.

Quick Reply: bucks fighting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.