Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 All Day Hunting, Overrated????????????? >

All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

Old 10-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

After hearing so much about howthe majorityof bucks in the record books were taken between 10 and 2, and hearing how great your chances are of seeing nice bucks during those hours, I decided to give it a try. For the last 3 years or so, I've been spending entire days on stand. Sitting from dark to dark in a tree hoping for a monster. I can remember seeing exactly one decent buck at 1pm one day last year, but most of the time, I'm just bored. I have seen a few does and yearlings as well, but it sure makes the day drag by and tires you out mentally.

I'll probably be doing it again this year, but I sure ain't looking forward to it!
Old 10-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, if I go at day break, I stay untill 11:00 am and return at 4:00 till sunset.

Sometimes I decide to sleep late and go at 12:00pm till sunset.

Depends on many factors!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Allllllllllllllllllllll day during the rut!!. If you could only get some tail one time out of the year wouldn't you be looking for it all day?[:-] I've only taken a couple really nice bucks during the 10-2 time, but sure have seen a LOT of mature bucks cruising for does during that time over the years. Anytime except the rut I wouldn't sit all day. I'd rather go watch paint dry. I save my energy for the rut.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I normally hunt sunrise to 11am then go for a cruise, park at a good vantage point and have lunch. From 1pm to 5pm I'll stillhunt, call, drive around a bit or a combination of all 3.

If I was closer to home where I hunt, I'd do what Rebel Hog mentioned (hunt sunrise to 11 then 4 to sunset...that would be perfect).
Old 10-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

I stay out till noon then go home, and then go back out at like 1 or 2
Old 10-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Allllllllllllllllllllll day during the rut!!. If you could only get some tail one time out of the year wouldn't you be looking for it all day?[:-] I've only taken a couple really nice bucks during the 10-2 time, but sure have seen a LOT of mature bucks cruising for does during that time over the years. Anytime except the rut I wouldn't sit all day. I'd rather go watch paint dry. I save my energy for the rut.
I agree with NYBH, during the rut all day and the rest the highest % of movement for the area.

However I should clarify why I hunt all day and why I have has success in the past. During the chase phase through the rut I hunt very close to bedding areas of deer, what is often referred to as " deep transition" areas. Where I hunt this means lots of cover and safety, deer move freely without the worry about being seen. I look for funnels or land mass that channel deer movements out of bed to the various stables in their routines (food/water of course during the rut this also means doe's). In this area I will often employ rattling/calling techniques to roust deer into coming for a look but depending on the conditons(wind, weather, etc) and stage of the rut I may elect to remain silent as well, I sit the hours of 10-2/3. Hunting such areas requires the absolute perfect wind to be successful as pressure in a deer safe zone will drive them right the heck out.I have shot 1 buck during the heavy stages of rut in the evening,maybe 4-5have come duringthe early am and the rest were 10-3..no sheet fellas. Thoughour buck to doe ratio is healthy and believe this has alot to do with success. If no or littlecompetition for breeding bucks really don't need to cruise to find chicks!!

I rattled in and shot this 5x5/160 class last year around 2:00pm. Ipassed 3earlier in the same spot.

For me you can't keep me from the mid day hunting at this time of year. If it doesn't work for you don't burn yourself out b/c I, NYBH or others say so. You know your deer and area better than us...Good Luck

Old 10-28-2006, 11:14 AM

deer move 24 -7 during rut the nap, drinkand sometime eat but never for to long
Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 AM

When I first started hunting, my dad would take me out in the morning, come back to grandma's for chili and a nap, then go back out for the late afternoon, we shot deer, but in our area their are other hunters nearby...this would end up stirring the deer around and driving the deer directly their way....after I went on my own I stayed out all day. and noticed around 10 - 2 I would see just as many deer sometimes...probably cause my dad was walking thru the woods to grandmothers house!

If you're not out there you won't know if there were or were not any deer moving...so do what's best for you!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

the main thing during the rut is, deer are very unpredictable. Bucks chase does and could care less on what time of the day it is. Only thing is if it gets hot during the midday they will move less and around here in MS, we hardly have days where its stays cool all day. lol
Old 10-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the rut I hunt from dark til dark. I started doing this after the 2001 season because of what happened during the rut that year. It was Nov 14th and I hunted the morning seeing 7 different bucks cruising/chasing does. I foolishly got down to go back to the house and eat. I started watching a hunting DVD at about 11:45. For some reason I looked at the clock and said "why am I sitting here instaed of hunting" so I boogied back and got up in my stand by 12:15. As I was pulling my bow up and fastening the release on my wrist, a doe ran by my stand like she was being chased. Then over the hill pops the big boy in hot pursuit. I maneaged to get him stopped at 30 yards by yelling at the top of my lungs "HEEEEEY" he locked up tight and I put an arrow through him. He scored 131 and has been my biggest deer ever taken at about 12:25 pm. So from now on for that magical 5-6 days in Nov I hunt all day.

Quick Reply: All Day Hunting, Overrated?????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.