Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Tags across the Nation

Old 10-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Default RE: Deer Tags across the Nation

In Kansas this year, we are allowed 1 buck tag archery or firearmsand 4 antlerless "any legal means" tags.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 PM

il states i can harvest 2 bucks shotgun and bow combined and i can buy as many doe tags "bow" as needed. keep in mind we have "the last time i checked" the largest herd in the u.s. and the mostthin deer car accidents so yes their is some state that have way too many deer per mile

thin the herd take a doe spend some bucks take a buck
Old 10-27-2006, 06:55 AM

In my zone DNR states (MN)roughly between 23 to 37 deer per square mile (2005). I believe it, there like cattle out in the fields. If you go for a 10 mile drive right at dusk you could count at least 20 if not more deer outgrazing.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor_activities/hunting/deer/2005_deer_density.pdf
Old 10-27-2006, 04:48 PM

where i hunt barbour and dale county, from oct 15 til jan 31 2 does and one buck a day. buck restriction in barbour co. 3 pt on one side
ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

It is basically the Game and Fish Commission trying to get a handle on the deer population. By the way in Bama the limit is over 200 per year in most counties.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

One buck per license year in PA but no limit on does if youcan getthe tags
Old 10-27-2006, 07:47 PM

In Mississippi, we have a deer herd of over 1.75 million deer, second only to Texas. But, we are about 3rd or 4th in total harvest. That said, our limits are pretty liberal. 3 bucks and 3 does with any type weapon, and two additional deer with a bow. Elder hunters and those with disabilities can use a crossbow. Even with this, our herd is increasing by leaps and bounds. 100 to 200 thousand animals a year.
So, it could be even more liberal. I generally like to shoot two does with my bow and then let my kids each take one or two and then just shoot for a nice trophy after that. Otherwise, the processing fees really add up.
Many states should probably shoot more deer than they do. In time, I think you will start to see more states with more liberal limits.
Hank
Old 10-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

In Maine 1 deer either sex it is bucks only in this area and the other areas it is antlerless with a permit through a lottery system. We have some expanded archery areas that you can buy doe tags in and 1 buck tag. There it is mostly around our cities and most of the land is posted.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:20 PM

in washington its only one deer for the entire season and thats its , and the season is only 3 weeks long
Old 10-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Spike

Michigan allows two bucks, one with 4+ points on a side, and three does per year. That's in the combined bow, gun, muzzleloader season.