Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I missed...or did I??

Old 10-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default I missed...or did I??

WEll i got up to go junior antlerless rifle. I got up and was walking up to my stand at the top of this field. As I walk up i hear snorts but i knew the deer hadn't of moved yet so i sat down and waited till light. AFter 25 minutes or so its pretty light out and i see two deer at the top of the hill. They were about 150 yards away so it was a pretty hard shot standing since i couldn't shoot laying because of high brush. So after a few moments I take the shot and the deer runs off and I hadn't thought I had so I didn't bother looking. Then this morning I figure what the heck so I went out and sure enough at the bottom of the hill at the creek the deer was laying dead. He was no good since she had been laying over night, and she was stiff as a board and bloated. So I guess that goes to show ya always check and see whether or not you hit it or not.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I missed...or did I??

If I read that right, you took a shot at a deer and never went to check to see if you hit it? In m y opinion you should not be hunting. Thats totally disgraceful.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:09 PM

It's one of the tough lessons in hunting. But telling someone they should not be hunting is a bit ridiculous. Why not try and educate a junior hunter when he/she does wrong rather than just condemning them out of hand?
What was done was wrong. Other than the memory of that deer lying there dead and bloated, he learned a lesson, or should have.
Maybe next time he'll check the shot.
But then, since some of us are perfect...
Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

The PA hunters diagest reads as follows:
[align=center]"It is unlawful for a hunter to refuse or neglect to make a reasonable effort to retrieve any killed or injured game or wildlife..."[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Bottom line is you did not comply with this regulation, period. You need to take a good hard look at what you have don and realize you could have your license revoked for this infraction. I'm not going to call you a morron or aything like that just give you good, wholesome advice. [/align][align=left][/align][ol][*][align=left]Only take shots you are confident will humanley kill the game you are after.[/align][*][align=left]Follow up and search for any and all game, as the guideline demands[/align][*][align=left]Take this as good, sound verbal beating and learn from your mistakes.[/align][*][align=left]READ YOUR DIAGEST OF REGULATIONS!![/align][*][align=left]and please dont repeat this action[/align][/ol]
bionicrooster, that is a great quote in your signature!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

If I read that right, you took a shot at a deer and never went to check to see if you hit it? In m y opinion you should not be hunting. Thats totally disgraceful.
100% agreed, no excuses. I hope you cancelled your tag after finding your deer this am. Learning means accepting responsibility for your actions!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be with Bionicrooster also. Even my first time out hunting by myself i shot at one and i knew i missed but i went and looked just incase. No matter if you know you missed or you hit it and never knew it i'd always go take a look.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bbear

It's one of the tough lessons in hunting. But telling someone they should not be hunting is a bit ridiculous. Why not try and educate a junior hunter when he/she does wrong rather than just condemning them out of hand?
What was done was wrong. Other than the memory of that deer lying there dead and bloated, he learned a lesson, or should have.
Maybe next time he'll check the shot.
But then, since some of us are perfect...
By his own words, the hunters said.."Then this morning I figure what the heck so I went out and sure enough at the bottom of the hill at the creek the deer was laying dead". ...Sounds like this hunterhad nothing better to do.....

I understand you're feelings but I have to agree with Bionicrooster 100%. That junior hunter should put his gun away 'til next year and maybe then he'll be mature enought to take the correct action after the shot.

This wasn't aminor oversight it was capital sin of hunting. If he was my kid he would spend a lot of time this deer season raking leaves' cause he sure as heck wouldn't have a gun in his hand.

If he was hunting from my camp, I would just tell him one thig:..."There's a front door and a back door...pick one"!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agree with bionicrooster also.If you just want to shoot at something,go to a rifle range and shoot paper targets(and don't forget to take them down when you're done).
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM

I am not saying what he did was right. but why don't we educate him instead of crucifying him. if we attack him now he will hate hunting and hunters forever, he might even become an anti. I think we can all agree he made a bad decision. but unless we can all agree we have never made bad decisions in the field, which we can't, then we need to correct him an hope he learns.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treestandstealth

I am not saying what he did was right. but why don't we educate him instead of crucifying him. if we attack him now he will hate hunting and hunters forever, he might even become an anti. I think we can all agree he made a bad decision. but unless we can all agree we have never made bad decisions in the field, which we can't, then we need to correct him an hope he learns.
If he waits 'til next year, he will have learned a vary valuable lesson. I would also be willing to bet, he won't do that again.Sure we all make mistakes, especially when deer hunting and we make correction accordingly. This was a serious mistake in judgement.

Sounds like you're more concerned in doing whatever it takes to keep him from hating hunters and hunting and maybe even becoming an anti.

If he's taught a big lesson in life and still decides to hunt than he will be a better hunter for it.If he decides to hate hunters and hunting forever, it's his call and deerhunting will be better off without him.

Just my two cents...

Quick Reply: I missed...or did I??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.