Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I missed...or did I??

Old 10-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I missed...or did I??

did you tag her Jake?

Bloody awful. Young man, junior hunter nothing! This guy is old enough to be hunting alone then he is old enough to be told he is a bloody idiot.

You are the reason many respectable hunters have an issue with the general public. Stick to motocross.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously choosing not to check for a hit was a bad choice.
I don't thinkanyone on this forum would dispute that.

It seems to me, that this hunter learned this lesson before anybody else opened their mouths about it.
From his own unedited opening post:
So I guess that goes to show ya always check and see whether or not you hit it or not.
How about giving this guy a bit of credit for having a big enough pair of balls to publically admit what happened because of a mistake he made?
It sounds to me as though he may have shared this experience here to help insure that other new hunters also see how important it is to thoroughly check for a hit and a bloodtrail.

I think that hanging his thingy out there for everybody to bite at was a gutsy thing to do just to help benefit somebody else or admit he learned it the hard way.

Where would you have him go to share his experiences and lessons learned if not a forum like this? How many new hunters may avoid that same mistake because they read this? How many of those same new hunters may not ever post here when they need help or advice because they fear ridicule?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

wow i wish i never posted this
Old 10-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

See guys?

Bigdeernofear, not everybody can do everything right on every deer. There are plenty of things that can go wrong even if you have lots of experience and ideal conditions.

Don't even think of quitting hunting, or posting here. If it's something you like to do, and you disire to do it well and ethically, then just chalk this up as something you would do differently in the future, and pass along your knowledge to someone else when you have the opportunity. Everybody has to learn some things the hard way. It's never fun, and there will always be thosewho don't remember what it was like when they messed up.

Iget the feelingyou care about making a good shot and doing all you can to recover the animal (including seeing if you hit it each time you take a shot), andthat tells me that you just learned a hard lesson. I don't think you saw anything in the deer's reaction to make you think you hit it, and that was the reason you didn't follow up. Now you know how misleading deer can be, and you'll be a better hunter for it.

The guys that are writing nasty stuff probably believe that you don't care at all, or theyare afraid of anti-hunting publicity, or they just enjoy jumping on the ethical bandwagon whenever itpasses by. If you are not the kind of guy they took you for, then you can't take what they wrote to heart, as it was meant for someone else.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to recommend the book Finding WoundedDeer by John Trout. It is a great resource for all deer hunters and will aid inusing field evidenceto determine what type of wound a deer has, how to follow up, and how long to wait before doing so. I feel that all those wanting to have the best chance to recover every deer they hit should hear what this experienced deer hunter has to say.

-Bulz
Old 10-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bigdeernofear

I knew when I read the post it wasn't going to be your day......
Old 10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

the guys on here dont mean to make you feel like crap ( i hope they dont), they just want you to learn from their mistakes (i hope they do). Some timesthey come across harsh, but they are all great guys. they jsut all want to try and help you out....dont let this one thing bring you down. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Next time you will know what to do.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

See guys?
see what? I see that he chose to focus on the bashing rather than all the "learning" you say he received.

He portayed a very laisez faire attitude about the whole thing. I don't think it was big pair of balls but rather the fact he didn't think it was a big deal. If my kids do a stupid thing they might very well get a serious verbal thrashing. I also expect them to LEARN something when they are getting the gears put to them. I don't expect them to like it just like I didn't expect Jake to like what he read.

Good on ya for wanting to look for the positve attributes in people. Very comendable Bulzeye. Honestly. You're last post was much better than your first one . In looking for the good you just can't create it however.

heneeded to have a good lashing thrown at him. I noted as well he didn't answer my question. Did he tag her? Did he understand his hunting was done or is he planning to gear up again?

How many new hunters may avoid that same mistake because they read this?
They're going to think twice based on the harsh, honest answers. If Everyone was all warm and fuzzy about such a blatantly irresponsible thing the message might not hit home.

It seems to me, that this hunter learned this lesson before anybody else opened their mouths about it.
Come on. Honestly. Don't you think the lesson should have been learned before he walked into the bush with a loaded rifle in his hand? The deer deserve better than to be used as learning tools this way.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me as though he may have shared this experience here to help insure that other new hunters also see how important it is to thoroughly check for a hit and a bloodtrail.
Even if that were true, my point is someone who doesn't already know to look to see if you hit a deer after shooting at it shouldn't be hunting. Maybe one day, but not now.

Bbear, say what you will, the people on here who have seen me post know I am not a basher and never claimed to be perfect, but if you want to take shots at me for respecting wildlife, go ahead...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Man, in my opinion, he still doesn't get it.

He posted "wow i wish i never posted this"

Nowhere does it say anything about owning up to his mistake and how sorry he was for his mistake. He is more concerned about what was said than what he did.

I deal with young people and having to establish discipline all the time. Person says, I messed up, I apologize and this is how I will fix it so it never happens again and I am ready to accept responsibility....... I am all the way in their corner and willing to work with them.

When they try to decieve, dodge responsibility or react with the whole "sorry I got caught" act.... I have no sympathy. They need to get the message.

I don't know this person, and it really isn't totally fair to judge him by what little we have, but he brought it into this court and I think almost everyone agrees. He needs some guidance and work.
Hank
Old 10-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could be wrong about this young hunter, but I hope not.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see him give it up if his heart really was in the right place. It's not always easy to tell from a typed post, so I try to give the benefit of the doubt, especially when the poster appears to be a beginner.

Quick Reply: I missed...or did I??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.