Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

layer for the chill

Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 PM

Default layer for the chill

Purchased some cold gear Under Armour and got to try it out this morning. Temp was low to mid 30s with a west to southwest wind. Had under armour then full season scent loc with climafleece as outer layer. Did not sweat to stand as I always have before. Hunted in stand untill 11:15am when I started to get the chill. I was wanting to get another layer with some kind of wind block thats breathable. I need to get some input from fellow hunters. I always used polypro and wool sweater but seem to always sweat going to and climbing stand. Was looking at some fleece with wind shear. Any ideas.Figured I would post under deer hunting forum as you guys should afford the best input. Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Default RE: layer for the chill

I go kinda old school. I just wear my brown carhartt with a XXL fleece camo jacket over it. (Warm, quite, camo...and not exactly "rain-gear" but I've never had the rain make it through my carhartt...or the wind for that matter). The trick for me use to be to get silly with how much I wrap/insulate/shield my neck and upper chest area. Now, when I know it'll be cold/windy I take a cheap knit facemask baclaka (that's not spelled right...not even close) thing that has a flap to cover my front chest and top of my back. It tuck in under my jacket. I keep it in my pocket on the way to stand. and then put it on and unzip my jacket to tuck it under. Pretty much I said all that to say this: I've found if you can keep the wind from getting down into your jacket and off your neck, you'll do alot better. It might not be popular, but the good ole scarf can do wonders...even with all these new fangled 24-in-1 supra-tec6000 parkas.