Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Combating tree stand boredom?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Combating tree stand boredom?

I just sit there and watch squirrels. If I don't see any squirrels I just sit and think about how nice it would be if a big buck walked out. But after you see a deer you can sit there a lot longer because you are waiting for the next one to come out. But stay as long as you can. Because as soon as you stand up to get down you are going to get busted by that big buck. And then you realize if you would have sat there just 10 more seconds you could of killed a nice deer.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM

I never have taken anything out with me. I usually sit a maximum of 4 hours or so. I don't really get bored, it's nice to have time to myself as a mother of 2 and one on the way. I know my lifestyle is going to speed up a little here in 2 months with a newborn, so right now I cherish the quiet time. The only problem I have is my butt going numb, but I just sit on my leg for a while or stand for 5 minutes and it goes away quickly.

I text message my husband a lot, whether he is hunting on the other side of the woods or sitting at home with the kids.

Like everyone else has said, if you are alert, you will find all kinds of things to watch around you. I find myself staring intently at "deer weeds" until I finally convince myself that it is not a deer. Last time I resorted to counting the "deer weeds". LOL It was hot, I was trying to take my mind off of the beads of sweat dripping off my nose....
Old 10-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get bored either...One of my best hunts last year, I had 2 coons in a white oak about 20 yards away, sleeping in the crotch....Until one decided to wake up the other, I dang near laughed out loud watching them all afternoon...They were just like kids I know...I'm actually just happy to get away from work, wife, 3 daughters and the mother in law that I enjoy some quiet time alone...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bring books whenI am sitting for hours on end
Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 PM

I never get bored either. I enjoy watching the birds, squirrels and other wildlife I see from my stand. I have thought about taking a book, bu then I think to myself, "I am not out here to read, I'm out here to hunt".

GO HOOSIERS!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

i just think of my grammer, high school and college days and all the old friends and memories. i always think of a few new ones i have forgotten and it always keep my mind racing and before u know it its time to go home. or there is deer and my mind is on them. love the woods.

Good Hunting
Old 10-11-2006, 02:13 PM

If I am just hunting the morning or evening, I usually have enough to think about and the the woods give me enough to look at. If I am going for an all day hunt, I will bring a paperback. Read a page and look around. Repeat as necesary.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Spike

Well, I have a problem with falling asleep in my stand during morning hunts. I don't bring anything out although my dad has brought out a mini, electronic battleship game and a yahtzee game. I'll watch squirrels if there are any around andturkeys if any decide to come by.

It helps if you see a deer within the first hour to get your excitement up and make you feel more optimistic that more will come.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 PM

I read a book.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:44 PM

I look for deer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Combating tree stand boredom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.