Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Combating tree stand boredom?

Old 10-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Combating tree stand boredom?

I think GregH is one of the true gurus on this website. (Don't let that go to your head!) We are what we pretend to be.

I do believe we have to be attuned to our own personalities. One size does not fit all, and some of us just aren't cut out to be all-day stand hunters. Stand hunting really does offer advantages, and I'm one of those people who can, and does, sit on tree stands from an hour before dark until an hour after if that's what it takes.

If you can't hack it all day, start with an hour, then work your way up.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 PM

I never bring anything in. I have one week and thats it. I'm on constant alert. I almost every time, see a deer head pop out and have plenty of time to react.

I like it when they kind of materialize almost like they look transparrent. Kinda of like the freaky rasta alien in the first predator movie

I do remember once I had just arrived from the west coast (to New England) and was jet lagged real bad. I was in a little home made stand and kept closing my eyes and counting to 30 then opening them. After about the 5th time I opened them and there were about 6 does in front of me. I ended up drilling the biggest one.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Well, all that motionless time and stillness, just makes me take a wonderful nap or two in the Tree Lounge!
I Thought you were a ground hunter like myself, rebel?

Anyway, when i get bored, i take a nap also, but i hunt from the ground and stay in 1 place all day.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at my cell phone and think just 15-20 more minutes to i grunt/bleat again. And i think maybe one walking buy heard it.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

sleep.
i do, too. afternoon lull is nap time. i hate it when you wake up and see one standing there looking at you. but i just can't help myself.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:11 PM

I read a book, the Bible, those electronic games are fun too. Yatzee, battleship, checkers, stuff like that. I've been known, on occasion, to take a nap here and there as well.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Mostly I just sit and second guess myself. I daydream a lot and think of the better things I could be doing than sitting there! The thing is though, there is always something to take my train of thought such as the turkey in the field, the squirrels running through the leaves, the the birds calling and flitting around, the geese honking overhead, the jerks the next farm over playing around on their 4 wheelers, the sounds I dont recognize, the way my tree stand creaks when I move-get the picture? It is hard to bet too bored. My ass gets sore and I may be cold, but I am never bored!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I just sit there pretty much all day and don't move from my tree stand...I've been known to be attacked by a squirrel so that keeps me on my feet all the time...I swear..the freakin squirrel..if I EVER see it again...it won't see the next day...I'm telling ya...lol
Old 10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Spike

I play with my GPS. Yep, still learning how to use it. It seems like there's always other critters to watch. Squirrels, chipmuks, chickadees, woodpeckers, possums, hawks, crows, passing flocks of geese and ducks,watching them is fun. I had a chickadee land on my arrow last year. That was cool.