Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opening Day Question

Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Opening Day Question

Opening day in Virignia is tommorow and I have been waiting eagerly ALL year. I came back from college to hunt.......ITS RAINING. It has been raining all day today and tommorow (opening day) is supposed to be raining too. I know if the rain would stop in the early AM, we might have some real good luck cuz the deer will be hungary. What do I do if it is raining? Do i still go to the stand? Still hunt? What should i hunt near (food, bedding,ect)?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Opening Day Question

When I'm on stand, I carry a camo1/2 tarp in my back pack and use it when it starts to down pour. When the down pour is over and it is drizzling, the deer come out of the woods to feed. I have taken many deer after a down pour while on stand, but you have to be on your stand at the time.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 PM

Rain, smain, you got to be out for opener! Weather is tricky and just because rain is predicted, does not mean it will, or like "they" predict it will. I would go with the intention of starting on stand, and then go to still hunting if not seeing anything after a few hours. You got to go.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Bassfisherman, the cold front plus the rain will really have them moving. Stick to your original game plan, and if things don't work out by evening and your really good at still hunting try that option. Always have some rain gear and or a good blind in case of rain. Good Luck!