Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York Opening Day Almost Here!!! Quick Question >

New York Opening Day Almost Here!!! Quick Question

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York Opening Day Almost Here!!! Quick Question

Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default New York Opening Day Almost Here!!! Quick Question

I can't wait, opening day starts on Monday here in Long Island New York. Ihave a quick question.I havemy 15 foot ladder stand set up on the edge of a huge and very densecrop of white acorns. I am right off what looks to be a trail that leads from the acorns to a bedding area and i have seen lots of tracks right under my stand.

Here is my question (with a set up like this)for the first week ortwo do you guys use any scents or grunts or do you simply hunt the early morning and late evening in a hope to catch them traveling from bedding to feeding and vice versa.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New York Opening Day Almost Here!!! Quick Question

Plenty of deer had been killed before deer calls came into fashion. Even elevated stands for that matter. I let deer go and come their normal way without me trying to call them in. I don't think anyone has yet proven for certain whether one brings more deer in or chases them off using these calls. I guess we only see the ones that might come in, but who really knowns how many were scared away before we even got a glimpse at them? Something to think about, I guess?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Thats tough. you can try some real light rattling and some soft grunts but dont over do it. also how big of an acorn crop. You might push them out of there when you enter in the dark. You might be better close to the bedding area in the morning... just something to think about!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

It is a huge crop probably about 200 yards by 200 yards with some trees mixed in. It si that real thick low to the ground foliage stuff. it is almost like little thin treesbut they grow white acorns. It si not liek a big oak tree.

The nice part about this stand is that I can get to it within minutes from my truckand I really do not have to make that much noise at all. It is just before the acorns crop starts.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey LI hunter, i cant wait for monday either, taking off from school... for me i always put a cupple wicks of scent about 20 30 and 40 yards from my stand, as well as legal attracants like c'mere deer on the other side, i figure all it can do is help, and cover up my scent, I will also use calls only if theres no action going on at all, or if a deer i want to shoot is walking away.
GL this year, pm me if you get anything!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't use scents since they are already coming into an area that attracts them naturally. I would just use a cover scent for my boots or a scent suit.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

Hey LI hunter, i cant wait for monday either, taking off from school... for me i always put a cupple wicks of scent about 20 30 and 40 yards from my stand, as well as legal attracants like c'mere deer on the other side, i figure all it can do is help, and cover up my scent, I will also use calls only if theres no action going on at all, or if a deer i want to shoot is walking away.
GL this year, pm me if you get anything!

Hey barofsoap good luck.I will let you know if i get anything. You said that you use LEGAL attractants such ascmere deer.I always thought that was illegal. Have you checked into that with the DEC. Not trying to come off as rude i just wouldn't want to see you get in trouble.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually just found out the liquid c'mere deer is legal in NY, its labeled as an attractant, not a bait, and i think its legal because its a cover up scent,I bought it in a local store.But ive heard many people say theyspray it onlogs and deer love to eat it. The guy assured me its legal in all of NY, even LI. I havent got any offical word from the DEC, but this guy seemed to know what he was talking about( I hope)
Im taking any advantage i can(as long as its legal), i hunt public land, and never have time to scout it, i usally just walk induringthe AMlike a blind person looking for a good tree so im gonna give it a shot.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can anyone verify the C'mere deer liquid attractant, that costs about 15 bucks, is legal in NY? I cant imagine this guy illegaly selling it, i cant even imagine the fine he would get.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

I will look into it, but I believe it is illegal! They sell all sorts of stuff in the store that is illegal for use but not to sell. I was in sports authority and they had mineral blocks(illegal) corn in a block(illegal) and some other various things. Its still baiting.
ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

Can anyone verify the C'mere deer liquid attractant, that costs about 15 bucks, is legal in NY? I cant imagine this guy illegaly selling it, i cant even imagine the fine he would get.

Quick Reply: New York Opening Day Almost Here!!! Quick Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.