Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Primos ripping off Madd calls ? >

Primos ripping off Madd calls ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Primos ripping off Madd calls ?

Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Primos ripping off Madd calls ?

Primos has come out with the buck roar with the snort weeze. These are both calls that the Drury boy from Madd put out first. They just changed the name from buck growl to buck roar.

I really like both the Primos guys and the Drury boys but I think this is a little tastless. I don't know if the call is even worth the money but it's the new hot thing so it seems Primos didn't want to miss the boat.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Primos ripping off Madd calls ?

Neither work any different than a grunt, so save you're money and don't buy either!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is very difficult to patent a scent or a sound. If so, you wouldn't have so many knock off colognes for 1/5th the price of the name brand stuff. I don't blame the Primos guys for coming out with a competing call. Like I said before, my wife bought me a Buck Growl for my bday, I wouldn't have bought one myself. I just find it odd that no one had ever even mention a deer growling....until the calls came out. I watched the DVD that came with the Growl...the sound of the buck growling seems edited in to me. I work in sound editing, so it stuck out to me. That said, I'll give it a try becaue I have one, but I am also a realist, I'm not expecting to see 80 bucks knocking each over to get to my stand.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM

Madd calls suck anyways. (speaking from every madd turkey call i've ever bought.)
Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Spike

The buck growl is definitely a deer vocalization. Last year I heard the sound on three different occasions. The first two times I had no idea what produced the noise. At first it sounded like a pig (I'm from South-East Central Illinois, so there are no wild hogs around). On the third occassion I was lucky enough to actually witness the buck making the sound. It was a 2.5 year old 8 pt. He made the sound about 5 or so times, and then went to rubbing a tree for approximately 10 minutes. As far as if the call will work, I don't know, but no other bucks came running in that day even though the 'growl' should have carried a good distance. The buck never made the sound again after he was done rubbing. As far as the call, I don't know if it will work, but as far as hunting goes, if I hear the noise and have no visual, I will be preparing for a shot because deer definitely do produce this sound.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really like both the Primos guys and the Drury boys but I think this is a little tastless.
Every call company and their brother now has a "can" call that Primos came out with first.....

The Primos call is actually better then the Drury's (I bought both).

The MADD's reed will roll over on you and "quack" out. The Primos won't roll over on you, it is a fine sounding and operating call.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure Drurys and Primos have a deal gong allowing Primos to sell the call under a different name.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure Drurys and Primos have a deal gong allowing Primos to sell the call under a different name.

I don't know...

The two calls are night and day different. The Primos has the adjustable "o" ring setup so you can use the callto producea doe or fawn bleat, young buck grunt,etc etc as well as the "buck roar". As you can see it also has the snort wheeze integrated into the call as well, the Drury's call offers none of those features, only the "growl".

The whole setup of the call and reed system is totally different from one to the next. The only thing that is similar between the two is the use of the tapered end to produce the back pressure used to make the "roar/ growl".

I can't see why they would need any "deal" to produce the call as I really don't think one can patent a simple sound. Also, IMO they are not constructedor sound very similar in the first place tonecessitate a deal.

But then again this is only my opinion and a lawyer or patent officer I am not...
[/align]
Old 09-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Buck Growl is the first new vocalization that has come out in 20 years. It is the most realistic call I have ever heard. I myself have heard a buck growl last fall for the first time when i rattled one in and after I shot him he contiued to growl. The good thing about this call is that it can be used just as a deer grunt as well. Heres the buck that growled and continued to growl the entire time till he went down.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck wis_bow_huntr!