Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

primos calls

Old 06-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default primos calls

who uses any of the cans by primos. which one have you found to be the most effective if any? thanks
Old 06-23-2004, 12:28 PM

Default RE: primos calls

They all sound like baby sheep to me... I honestly don't understand how they could work other than as a curiosity attractant. I am thinking about picking one up though - just to see. I'd be interested in everyone's feedback as well.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only one that I have ever used is the Primos can. Most of the time it does not work at all, even if you can see the deer they ignor it. However, sometimes they come like they are on a string. I have only had it work twice but it worked very well on those occaisions. Last year I was hunting in the river bottoms (big timber) and I could see a deer but I couldn't tell what it was. I got the can out and called a couple of times. The deer that I could see did nothing. I heard something behind me and it sounded like a deer but I couldn't see it. About that time a buck came trotting around the end of a brush top heading straight for me. The buck had to turn broadsie to go under under blow down and I mouth bleated (loud) as he came out from under the blow down. He ignored me and kept on coming. I bleated again even louder and kept on coming and looking hard for the doe. I finally shot the buck at 5 yards from the base of my tree. He was a basket rack 9 pt with palmated brow tines and a 1 inch kicker. He would have been a brusier in a couple of years but it was public ground and the guys I hunt with aren't going to pass him so.... however I digress. Sometimes the can works great for me and other times not at all but I will keep one at all times for those occaisions that it does work.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:47 PM

I use the Original Can. I won't say that I have great success but I have used it for the last 2 years and have called in a few bucks especially later in the season. None of them giants but one is now on my wall.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:36 PM

I used the Primos can last season with mixed results as well. Some bucks responded quickly but most of these deer were 2 1/2 years olds or younger. I have never had a big buck respond to the call but Mike Beatty sure did. I was told by a friend that I hunt with that the can call scared a giant buck away. He said he called once to the deer and it took off. One of the biggest bucks I have seen in years took off when I grunted at him. So I guess it just depends on the animal and how aggressive they are at the time. I going to continue experimenting with it.