Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hay bale blinds????

Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hay bale blinds????

I saw a huntin show this week were a guy was huntin from inside a hay bale blind. I was thinking of getting some and making a few myself. I was going to use the rectangle bales. Was thinking of arranging them where I would have three walls witha window, (hole) in each wall and also put a board on top to keep rain and whatever out. Anyone ever done or do this?????How does it work out???? Any suggestions on size andbest pattern to build it???? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 09-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hay bale blinds????

Growing up in PA, I used to huntin bales of hay all the time. The farmer used to leave bales out in the middle of his fields just so I couldhunt 'em. I would love to have that back, cuts the wind off of you,with a roof you'd be dry. Go for it.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice and warm, but you have limited visibility and you can't hear inside the hay very much.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

well this may sound weird but when i was 8 i used to hid in hay bales and thaught about hunting in them, dont ask me y but i think it is a great idea.....another idea is to dig a hole in the middle of a field so that u wouldnt have to worry about wind direction or scent control
Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

good idea
Old 09-22-2006, 08:34 PM

I use hay bales to my advantage quite a bit. For one they are great to use to stalk. Line the animal up with a bale and move in closer you may be 60 yards from the bale but they cannot see past that big round thing. I often just sit behind one and hide if i am sure the deer are coming from the other side and will not walk around to discover me. I also like to take the tractor and put 6 or 7 of them in a circle close togther making a blind with 4 or 5 shooting windows where one bale meets the next. My buddy uses square bales quite a bit and that seems to work well also. It sucks when they start eating your bales though.....
Old 09-23-2006, 07:53 AM

we have used them....work great!