HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does Everyone Know about the "Inner Tenderloins"? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/154233-does-everyone-know-about-inner-tenderloins.html)

jaybe 08-30-2006 02:31 PM

Does Everyone Know about the "Inner Tenderloins"?

I was going to post ths a while back on another thread then didn't - and now can't find it.
But for those who butcher their own deer, do you know about those little tenderloins that are found in the inside of the deer? They lay right alongside the spine just ahead of the hips. They are two small strips of incredibly tender meat that if you aren't careful, you'll tear them apart with your fingers.
With the deer hanging, just cut down beside the spine, then starting at one end, gently loosen the meat with your knife and then cut and peel out the piece of meat. We like to cut them cross-wise into little "medallions" about 1/2" - 3/4" thick and fry them up in bacon grease. Yummmm!
If I took my deer to a butcher (which I don't), I'd make sure I removed these before I got there - - just to make sure I got them. ;)

kingofspring 08-30-2006 03:04 PM

RE: Does Everyone Know about the "Inner Tenderloins"?

To anyone who doesn't cut them out... I'll be glad to field dress your deer for you!
I like to marinade them in "Allegro" and grill them. Makes fork-tender steaks.

Rebel Hog 08-30-2006 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: jaybe

We like to cut them cross-wise into little "medallions" about 1/2" - 3/4" thick and fry them up in bacon grease. Yummmm!
Yep! We also cut it like "medallions" after we marinade it over night in Kirbys "Mojo" Marinade and than bake in the oven.

Champlain Islander 08-30-2006 03:43 PM

Those are the tenderloins.

VT Ridges 08-30-2006 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Those are the tenderloins.
That's what I was thinking. I call the the strip of meat on the back the back straps.

bloodcrick 08-30-2006 04:16 PM

just to ad to this. if you like to hang your deer for a couple days like i do (weather permitting) go ahead and get these out right away. they tend to dry out a little since there exposed to the elements after field dressing. Man guys your right, these are excellent strips of meat. glad you brung up this subject. I like to cube them in 1" chunks, dip em in egg, roll them in Kentucky cournalbatter mix, then fry em up. Emmm Good!!! Hey i never thought about bacon grease, i will have to try that.
Dan

Rhody Hunter 08-30-2006 05:29 PM

Those are the very choice cuts from the deer .I'm getting hungry just thinking about it

sandilands 08-30-2006 06:22 PM

I'm with Blood creek, take out the tenderloins right away. Its wasteful to let them hang with the deer, and if your not careful its the first to go bad. Doesn't matter how you cook'em, they're almost always good.... but always tender. I'm heading to the freezer to get my last pack:).Awesome over the camp-fire, when you get a late kill and are hungry.

bigcountry 08-30-2006 06:56 PM

We call em the fish. You won't believe how many people I ask if I can have them while they are pullin thier deer out. They say sure. I reach in there with my hand to get em out.

muckland 08-30-2006 07:00 PM

WOW