Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting big buck

Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 AM

Default hunting big buck

maby some one can help me find mr big . how can you idetifiy a big bucks home other than the scrapes rubs,ect . also can someone explain a good funnel.

thanks Shawn
Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunting big buck

Trail cams...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing you have to remember, right now all deer are workign food their food sources, youll see this from now untill mid-late sept. with small moderate amounts of sparing going on. Focus on your food sources during this time. During early Oct-mid oct start looking for signs of rubs and scrapes. Nows the time to setup 20 yards off major runways. Your more mature bucks will rarely use run ways this time of the year, most of these runways will funnle out to a feeding area comming from a bedding area, do not get too close to a bedding area as you may spook out any mature bucks that frequent that area. Now comes the fun time late oct-mid nov. The bucks will begin a good pre rut phase normall in late oct early nov. Prime time to be in the woods. Mature bucks will be hitting their scrapes during anytime they fell a doe or smaller buck has visited their scrapes. Bucks are trolling looking for does in estrus, some heavy fighting occours, and some chasing occours during this time. From past experiences and talking with fellow hunters, this is the time when most bucks are harvested because of their vulnerability. Light to moderate rattling and calling works best during this time.This is the time to hunt them wood edgesabout 20 yards in.Mid-late Novemeber the bucks are in full out chase mode and most does have come in estrus and the bucks have one thing in mind. The most exciting time to be in the woods. You will notice that bucks have no set pattern at this time. they will be walking around with nose to the ground and looking frequently. Heavy rattling works well this time of the year. Good luck out there and be safe.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Look for piles of big poop .
A good funnel is anything that attracts and concentrates deer , it can be anything from a low spot on a ridge , to a creek bottom , to a strip of trees between two woods . Funnels take many forms .
Old 08-30-2006, 12:38 AM

thank you for your input hopefully it will land me mr big , also i had one other question do big buck hold out in staging area's before entering fields to feed.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muckland

Trail cams...
Or you could actually scout the area, learn deer sign, trails, bedding areas, feeding areas, etc. you know, not be so lazy.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

ORIGINAL: muckland

Trail cams...
Or you could actually scout the area, learn deer sign, trails, bedding areas, feeding areas, etc. you know, not be so lazy.
Maybe he doesnt have time to scout all the time. Maybe he has a family and kids and work and between working 8-10 hours and day and time with the family he can't really get out but once every week or so. I know alot of guys, including myself, that put a decent amount of time and effort scouting with trail cams. At least I can study the pictures and compare them to the weather/moon and date and times when the deer appear at home. I try to get out and scout in person every couple weeks, but I take offense to calling people who use trail cams as lazy.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Look for piles of big poop .
Don't forget taste. Big bucks poop tastes like molasses whereas does and fawns have more of a musky bitter taste.....