Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tricks

Old 08-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tricks

find a trail that goes from a field where they feed to where they bed and hunt where the field meets the bush![8D]
Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

If your stand is in an oak tree and the deer have been feeding on acorns, take some small rocks/pebbles up in your stand with you. If deer are just beyond range you can drop a pebble occasionaly and they sometimes will come your way thinking that a few acorns are dropping from the tree.

Mitch
Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

I to like to hunt near a creek crossing. Tehy're easy to spot as theyll be beat into the ground. They have to have water. I have a spot this year and itll be the first year for it. Its coming off a narrow ridge with very steep sides, down to the creek crossing and thru a holler, into a clover patch eventually. I set up atthe top of that ridge near the bedding area.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll throw in a few more...Hunt the white oaks closest to the bedding area (in NC thats cutovers and swamps)...One of my favorite stands is a white oak flat that is between two cutovers...

Also...we have expansive swamps in eastern NC....I have a couple of areas where the deer cross beaver dams to bed in the nastiest part of these swamps...Its a natural funnel...Islands in these swamps can also be good...One of ours happens to have white oaks and beech trees on the island...its a deer magnet...

Know your oaks...the areas that I hunt in NC have white oaks, chestnut oaks, pin oaks, sawtooth oaks and red oaks...Also know which ones the deer prefer and when each drop....

I also love to hunt soybean fields...from the spring until the beans are cut the deer will hammer them...They prefer standing beans to cut corn...I hunt them in the mornings as well as evenings...Last year I counted 8 different deer in one of our fields during one morning hunt...I took one home with me...

When hunting fields especially....Learn how to take a rest...Any good rifleman knows that he shoots better with a rest...Make sure its padded, or at least have your hand between the stock of the rifle and the rest....

Finally....Few deer hunters know that deer love beech nuts...When you have a year with a small oak drop especially....Beech trees love water...You can find them near swamps and creeks....I have another area that is a beech ridge between a swamp and a cutover...I had 5 bucks parade past me last year on the opening day of muzzleloading...All within 25 yards...A .54 caliber ball to the neck of one dropped him in his tracks...

Old 08-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Ride the trails looking for heavy deer crossings. When you come to that spot, back off 50ydsor go forward 50yds and set up there untill they cross again.

Back in 1986 I shot a massive 8pt whilelaying in the prone position in the bed of my truck50yds from themultiple deercrossing.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Mock Scrapes work for me........
Old 09-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

food source and a sandwich