Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PVC Pipe boxstand??

Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM

Default RE: PVC Pipe boxstand??

I don't think it would work b/c it would squeek way too much. We used it to enclose a few duck blinds. It squeeks way too much for a deer stand. Not to mention although PVC is pretty strong, it would sway like crap in the wind.

I think ya should stick to wood or some sort of metal. Just my $0.02
Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a post on this once before. I didn't like it then and still don't. For one you said you are going to cement it and you want to knock it down when your done. You cant take it apart if it's glued.

This stuff has one purpose and should be usedfor plumbing only. Plus all the joints will cost you much more than you think.

If it was a good idea then tree stand manufactures would already be using it.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

I'm in the process of making a duck blind out of PVC pipe and fittings. The entire project cost me around $50 (with paint and glue). I like it because it doesn't weigh much and if I need to move it to the other side of the pond I can do so by myself. As for the squeaking?? I'm sure it would if I hadn't glued the joints well.

I would neveruse it for deer hunting, because it does sway with the wind blows.

and that's my 2 cents
Old 08-25-2006, 05:30 PM

Yea I can see the swaying thing being a pretty big issue. guess I will have to scrap the idea and buy a tripod with a top
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd take a dozier and make a road to the back and put up a good stand. All those fittings, etcare going to be expensive and I don't think it will be sturdy enough. At least get a good tall metal ladder stand and use a gunbrella.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

I honestly don't think it would be a good idea to use pvc for anything structural, like your ladder or floor supports. Now, if you were to use it for support posts to hang burlap on, then I think it would be fine. I don't think I would feel very comfortable sitting in a pvc stand. Just my $.02
Old 08-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Awi

If ya wernt too high off the ground,and used some big aggie sized pvc it prob would work,but that would be costly,for ex. 4 inch shed 40 pvc.I dont even know what size ,4 or 5 inch,I aint no plumber.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yea I can see the swaying thing being a pretty big issue. guess I will have to scrap the idea and buy a tripod with a top
Sounds like a better idea to me. I have a similar deal that you have as far as getting to it hauling materials etc..... I stuck a tripod out there and whalla - done deal. I didnt' get a top for it. If it rains I just get wet and trust my raingear.[8D] By the time you're all done it will probably be cheaper in the long run.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Spike

Sounds like a great idea. Here's a suggestion. If your terrain is anything like where I live, you will have a hard time finding a level spot to put it. So, whatever size pvc you decide on for the legs, get some 3' or so lengths of the next size larger to sleeve over the legs. Drill some holes through all the way through them at 1" to 2" intervals and insert a pin so you can adjust the leg length to fit the terrain.

Personally though, I'd just build the box, camo it up real good, and let it sit on the ground. No need for a floor. A lot easier to set up and not as much to haul in to your location. Should still give you a good hide. Of course, maybe you need the height to have a good view of your hunting area.

Anyway, good luck, and I want to see a picture of the finished product also.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:57 PM

if u use pvc ur gonna want to brace it every couple feet or its goin to sway really bad. also i would use solid pvc instead of the foam core, its heavier and doesnt flex as much.

Quick Reply: PVC Pipe boxstand??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.