Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PVC Pipe boxstand??

Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Spike

Default RE: PVC Pipe boxstand??

I like the pluming idea as well....but im not sure you would want to let it just flow out the bottom of the stand!!!!! the deer will smell it from a mile away.....maybe good??? maybe bad???
Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

I saw Lowes is selling camo plywood now........build your box bling, no paint required
Old 08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hermbo19

I like the pluming idea as well....but im not sure you would want to let it just flow out the bottom of the stand!!!!! the deer will smell it from a mile away.....maybe good??? maybe bad???
I was assuming he was going to bury the corner posts (pipes) in the ground. No smell, no mess.....I would make it for #1 only.....or the deer might see you running a snake to clear the lines.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sandilands

I looked at your profile and it didn't say where you were from. Here in MB (CAN) it gets colder than a witches tit, -40 is not unheard of during the rifle season..... the norm being about -20, Thats why I thought of PVC as breaking. Good luck and I hope it works out, don't know why it wouldn't. Oh ya one more thing..... what about sound.... any movement and it might sound like musical instrument?

Holy Crap!!! When I'm looking for tips on cold weather gear i'll be sure to ask you.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is that big inside, just get a drywall bucket with lid and do your biz in that. Snap the lid tight and no worries. You could even put some rv toilet deodorizer in there and it would last long enough that you wouldn't have to empty it every day.
I'm not sure the pipe is gonna be ridgid enough. Go to a home center and lift a 12' length and see how much deflection it has. I think if abs or pvc pipe was good for building things with, we would be living in pipe houses.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

Why not build a platform from wood something that you know will hold up and then use smaller PVC for the walls and roof? I would feel much safer on something like that versus plastic.

I like the plumbing idea though

see now thats thinking. thats what im gonna do to finish my stand off this year

Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 PM

pvc is going to be noisy and with the changes in temps it will be very unstable. now if you still want to try it you could always fill the pvc posts with sakrete to strengthen it but still id say its a risky deal. why not just build a tree house style blind. but i have found that by the time you factor cost and time its easier and cheaper to by a blind or stand. there are alot of cost affective box blinds on the market that are roomy
Old 08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

You can buy a cheap ladder stand that will be more stable than anything you could cobble from PVC for $50 , why risk your life ?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Spike

I actually added a urinal to my permanent box stand this summer. I started with a u shaped3 or 4" pvc sewer cap that has a rubber gasket on it and kept adding pieces until it necked down to take 1" pipe. I ran the 1" down into a coffee can that I placed three feet underground. I then used some putty to seal the joint between the pipe and the coffee can. Next I covered the hole and painted the pvc camoflage.

On the top side, I used banding to hold the urinal in place. I chose the banding so I could swivel the urinal out of the way when not in use. It looks like is should be a pretty slick set up and almost scent free.

Brian
Old 08-25-2006, 03:25 PM

Well I would love to make it outta wood, but I dont think I could haul all that stuff back there on the back of a 4 wheeler, and then assemble it all. The best part about the PVC idea is that it can be built then packed in somewhere that you cant drive too, them assemble it and have an enclosed stand. I am going to cement everything once I get it to the final place and probably saccrete the legs into the ground. I bought the end caps allready that have the slots for bolts. I have added it up too and would be alot better off just buying a ladder stand I know, but I am kinda stubborn so I wanna build it just to see if it will work. I built the floor allready and it is plenty strong enough with 3" pipe. I like the urinal idea. All I gotta do is add one y-fitting inline with one of the corner pipes and add a screw lid to it and make sure it has a way to filter into the ground. I saw a 3" end cap that is for drainage I could use for that.

Quick Reply: PVC Pipe boxstand??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.