Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Nice Article on Great Book.... >

Nice Article on Great Book....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nice Article on Great Book....

Old 09-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nice Article on Great Book....

ORIGINAL: Monster Bucks only

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments from all of you. I have said it before but I dont consider myself anything other than a good ole country boy that tells it like it is ... or at least how I see it. I dont mind taking a stand on an issue and I believe that too many of the "celebrity" hunters today shy away from anything which might affect their ability to make $$$ from hunting. They are too "politically correct" in my opinion. Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

nodog- I dont want to start a big debate with you and do appreciate that you took the time to read and comment on my book. You did make a couple of comments though that I am not sure I understand-

"The definition of "Real World" though I do not. One of us isn't."

"Don't care to know why others are wrong either"

Could you maybe explain these a little so I understand what you mean? I appreciate all the readers of my book and magazine articles whether they are patting me on the back or disagreeing with me. Your opinion counts and I would like to better understand it. Thank you
Well I don't care to either and will reserve comment on being from the "Real World" until others respond. Maybe it's me who isn't.

I was going to edit this reply but it's a good example of what I was referring too. You didn't say what you were without saying something negative about others. I don't care to hear about the others I can make up my own mind about what they think. I want to know what you think is right. Hate to say it but that's one thing that gets me about most political adds, they tell you what's wrong with the other guy. I'd rather they just tell me what they think is right. Obviously I'm in the minority or they wouldn't do it.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 AM

Greg- That is a SUPER buck! Congrats!!

nodog- could you give me an example of something that I said that is "negative about others" ? I am sure that you have something in mind but I cannot figure out what it is. If you prefer to PM me that would be fine. I just want to get a handle on what it is about my writing style that turns off potential readers. Thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don, I think I understand what nodog is trying to say about the real world hunting part although I have a different take on it than he does.

What I believe he means is, in the real world, most people hunt public land. Most real world hunters don't have the means to buy or have sole access to superb private hunting grounds.

However, I think Don has done a pretty good job explaining that:
1. Anybody with a full time job and the desire/determination should be able to afford hunting land.
2. Anybody with land can make better habitat and sanctuaries (through government CRP programs or otherwise) to attract and hold more mature deer.
3. Anybody with the right attitude, a little bit of work, and a little bit of luck, can gain access to private land.

None of this comes overnight. The main idea I took away from this book is that success will take work, a different way of thinking, and is a long term strategy, not an immediate reward.

This idea may not be for everyone and that is ok.

To further explain my understanding:
In the real world, mature bucks prefer solitude, security, and seclusion - which is seldom found on heavily hunted public ground - and since this book is about hunting Trophy Bucks in the real world, then a huntermay needto change tactics to become more successful consistently; like focusing onwhere the mature bucks are. That may take someone out of public land, that may take someone out of private land where they don't have sole access or any other controls. But utilizing the above 3 steps is one way to help improve anyone’s success.
Don has also made several references making the distinction between deer behavior/tactics and mature deer behavior/tactics.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks Hazcon7, I was pretty sure he wasalluding that I dont hunt the "real world" but wanted him to come on out and actually say it. Too many hunters dont want to hear that killing big bucks takes work and sacrifices and experience. They are looking for that secret gizmo or unheard of tactic to lead them to the promised land. I have hunted public lands and in fact was just scouting on public land earlier this week. Very few hunters started out with less than I did. I worked for years to get access to the properties that I hunt today. Public land may be the "real world" to many hunters but no book is going to tell you how to kill big bucks where they dont spend their daylight hours. These comments are not directed at Nodog but to anyone who thinks I am not in the real world.

My main concern with nodogs post was him saying that I was "negative about others" when trying to make a point. I have thought long and hard about what he could be talking about. The only thing that I can figure is that since he is from Ohio and MIGHT use a crossbow, maybe he took offense to my position on crossbows during archery seasons. Maybe I am wrong but that is the only thing that I can figure. Oh well, at least he did make some positive comments about the book and I appreciate that.