Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Nice Article on Great Book.... >

Nice Article on Great Book....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nice Article on Great Book....

Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Nice Article on Great Book....

I was just about to post the link to his website when I noticed Don's post.

Welcome to the forums!

I will be ordering a book soon. Gives me something to read in the stand on those slow days.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Cubin--that's interesting, and a little bit weird to me.Seems as if he was trying to anonymously self promote his book. Oh well, probably a good book none the less.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Monster bucks. I'm a brain picker and have no pride. Mind if I post a scenario? I'm very close to a mature buck. We've gone around for four years. Took a shot at him 4 years ago. 2 years ago I watched him for a morning but had to call it quits to take the family to the holiday parade. He knew he was busted again. Heard him breath on meone year in the darkness.

I've had a stand set since end of hunting season last year. (I also believe that's the best). Viewed it twice since. Plenty going on. Perfect set up. Thick woods that opens to a small area where corn was planted. The area next to the woods didn't grow so there's a clearing. There's also some rotting wheat staw for a cover scent and getting in without being seen. He tore the place up last year. I took a contest winning doe there last year,hey there was cash on the line. I mean he tore upmany trees in a 20' square some large. I got a feeling this years the year. What time of day do you think is my best chance of catching him. The area is a small wood lot surrounded by crops, no pressure. It has a ditch that runs through it. He takes it. I have run into him once in the afternoon and twice in the early morning.I know you don't put stock ina tore up place. If not there what should I look for? I have other stands set in the area.Getting busted is easy but I've gotten pretty good at slipping in and out. Access to more of his area is slim although I did get permission to a possible area close by he might use. Talked the owner into letting me bow hunt to get the deer that are tearing up his trees.

I realize it's difficult to see what I'm saying. Give it a shot. I'm not all caught up in this just something I like to accomplish. To tell the truth I'd hate to end our relationship. I like thinking he's out there.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 PM

tj cubin - great detective work man!!! When I first got the books from the printer I was so anxious to sell a few that I tried my hand at self promotion. Guess what??? It didnt work worth a crap! I should have just waited for you guys to sniff it out on your own

nodog - one of the key things I have learned about big bucks is that when you see them do something once, they will likely do it again. You just gotta be there and be ready when it happens. You have seen the buck in a certain area before. Now think about all the details of those sightings- time of day, time of year (early season, rut, late season?), wind direction, etc etc etc. Now take all that you know from those sightings and the next time the same conditions exist, get in there and be ready. One more thing, dont burn out the spot BEFORE it is time and for sure dont be shootin does from that spot!!! If you have already seen him 3 times from that spot, he WILL be back. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks! It hasn't been from the same stand, come to think of it it's never been from that one. Once I put the creep on him and got a shot only to bury it in the edge of a small tree.

I did set a another stand last spring in an area he used to bed. The conditions are the same this year as they were then, but I haven't seen a lot of activity there. Still I set it there because I saw him there. Pretty much how I scout and hunt, go with what I know and move accordingly.

Here's another if you don't mind. What time would be a good time to get in a stand in a bedding area? Went at 3 am once.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 AM

My favorite time to hunt bedding areas is in the early season in the evenings. With the leaves on the trees and thick foilage, it is a lot easier to slip in real close to where they bed down. I also like to do it on fairly windy days. This helps cover any noise that I make and often the wind will die down right before dark and that is when the bucks get on their feet.

I have had limited success hunting bedding areas in the mornings. It really doesnt matter how early you get to your stand, a big buck will nearly always scent check his bedding area from downwind before coming in to bed down. I have seen how they do this by back-tracking bedded bucks in the snow after jumping them from their beds. Most of the time it would have been next to impossible to set up on him and not be detected given the wind direction on that particular day.

Here is something else to consider regarding bedding areas. We all know that a buck will not bed in the same place every day. I believe however that a buck will have a prefered exact location within a larger bedding area. For example lets say a buck is bedding in a large weedy CRP field. He will not just walk out there and plop down anywhere. Instead he will have an exact location that he beds within that field with certain wind conditions and time of year. If you jump a big buck from his bed note the time of year and the wind conditions and everything else that you can. The next time that those conditions are the same, you have a good idea where to look for him. I often do this the following season. For example, if I saw a buck do something while undisturbed last season in Mid-October, I will get set up and be ready for him to do it again this season in mid-October. I just have to wait for the wind to be the same as it was the previous season when I saw it. Good luck
Old 08-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks a lot Monster. Feel like like I hit the lottery or something a kin to it. Illumination is it, is what I'm after, my desire. I've just benefited greatly. Look forward to reading your stuff. Great stuff on keeping track of details. Need to do more of that.

I've noticed the evening thing. Have been successful going in less than an hour before sunset. Seems they are moving around getting ready to moosie out instead of sitting and watching. Other critters are getting up as well. Got to be well planed out though.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Don, nice to hear from you. I have grown tired and weary of many hunting shows and some magazines and find that past individual hunting experiences compiled and remembered works best for me. I've been bowhunting since 1977 and still find I make mistakes, just cutting down on those mistakes is what I try to do each season.[8D] I think I will be purchasing a copy of your book and hope to apply the information into what I have learned over the years. One question...........does your book contain any information that can help hunters gain and keep good hunting ground? Thanks,

Greg
Old 08-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Monster just ordered the book and look forward to reading it. Use a good pen!

Anything funny about the book like a strange typo or pic that has an unusual story like the camera guy got attacked or something while filming. Anything behind the scenes, an exclusive, "you heard it hear first folks" kind of thing.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:03 AM

Hi Greg,I took the same approach with the book that I have taken with my articles; I try to NOT come across like the ultimate deer hunting authority. I stick to the truth and what has actually worked for me and stay away from unproven theories. I also try to always stay in touch with the general hunting public. I am just an ordinary guy that really loves big whitetails. God didnt make me any better than he did the next person and try to always be mindful of that. I hope that the "honesty" and "down-to-earth" approach is evident in my writings. As for aquiring and keeping good hunting lands, I do touch on that breifly. The property that you hunt is one key to taking big bucks but there are several others as well. I see that you are from Illinois, what town are you near?

nodog - the funniest thing about the book is probably the pictures that contain my face!!!! As for "exclusive" info .... well the story about my 214" buck from 2004 has never been published before and I had 2 seperate attorneys read it to make sure I couldn't be sued. I have had several people buy the book just because of thatchapter. For those who would like a little more insight into what I am talking about, I briefly touch on it on the home page of my website - http:/www.higginsoutdoors.com

Quick Reply: Nice Article on Great Book....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.