Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any truth, or is this a B.S. rumor??? >

Any truth, or is this a B.S. rumor???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any truth, or is this a B.S. rumor???

Old 08-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Any truth, or is this a B.S. rumor???

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Mostly they've been discussing the 30.30 and 45-70 . Whatever they decide upon will have to be a straight wall cartridge of low velocity .
Kev, that's better than none at all, don't you think?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ohio makes us use shotguns, i can see it for most of the state but down in southeast ohio it's like friggin westvirginia!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Here in southern Indiana it is extremely hilly. Some of the dudes up north say I live in the mountains haha.... I think it would be ok if they would let us use rifles here, I mean if we can go hunt coyotes with a rifle, then why not let us use them for deer? I for one would gladly switch from my trusty 20 gauge for a decent rifle. I could use it too with some of the big bucks I see that are just too far away to hit with a shotgun, but would be easily hit with a rifle. but w/e... hope they do something about it.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Indiana outdoors: Deer hunting ammo change up for debate
DNR will discuss proposals during Tuesday meeting
BY BILL SCIFRES
[email protected]

Not that it will make any appreciable difference, but officially the dialogue is starting to allow rifles with pistol ammunition for deer hunting.
But before starting any discussion about deer hunting - especially with rifles - please allow me (and the Department of Natural Resources) to explain that this will be done (if, indeed, it comes to pass) with short-range ammunition. There will be no long-range ammo involved, which the DNR has been conisistently opposed for many years.

Ammo will be strictly limited, and will shoot accurately over shorter distances - much similar to muzzle-loading weapons - but they will not be accurate at longer ranges.
Insiders say those who have such weapons have agitated the DNR for several years on the matter. Others say the proposed regulation is not expected to make a difference in either the deer harvest or the safety factor.
Along that line, should the rule be adopted, officials of the DNR will be very cognizant of hunting accidents the year rifles are allowed, should it happen. The change in hunting rules that allows short-range rifles would not be legal until next year at the earliest.
The changes of regulations will be heard at 1 p.m. Tuesday during the regularly-scheduled July meeting of the Natural Resources Commission at the Atterbury State Fish and Wildlife Area. Should the various items of the package be approved, the DNR will stage a public meeting or a series of meetings on the package.
The package includes 22 chages in regulations, none so important as the rifle regulation on deer hunting.
The change in the rifle regulation on deer hunting has been opposed by the DNR for many years as a matter of safety. The DNR says it is bringing the rifle issue forward at this time to receive comment of the public before the proposed fall meetings
Meetings of the DNR in recent years have been notoriously underattended.
In other matters, the regulation package includes a rule that will make it more legal for youth having a lifetime license to participate in the bow hunt for deer and eliminate the need for those taking part in the free youth deer hunt to sign up for the HIP program.
The proposed regulations also would:
[*]Remove the 12- to 15-inch slot size limit on bass at Delaney Park Lake. The size limit there would be 14 inches.
[*]Make the size minimum on bass 18 inches with a daily bag limit two fish at Murphey Lake at Willow Slough in Newton County.
[*]Establish a 25-fish limit of bluegill, redear, crappie at Murphey Lake.
[*]Cancel the no-harvest rule on bass at Dove Hollow Lake at Glendale Area. It has been unsuccessful Limit on bass there revert to 14 inches.
[*]Establish a 12-15 slot-size limit on bass on the southern Blue River in Crawford, Harrison and Washington counties. The regulation would stipulate that no more than two of a limit bag (five) bass could be more than 15 inches.
[*]Establish a 20-inch mimimum and one-fish daily limit on the northwestern Sugar Creek through its entire length (Parke, Montgomery, Boone, Clinton and Tipton counties).
There are several other regulation changes are available at: www.in.gov/nrc/minutes/ current_agenda/ or by calling 1-317-233-6527.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter I think Illinois and Iowa are the same way. Shotguns only for deer... Stupid gun Nazis. One of the many reasons I moved from Illinois to God's Country. I mean... Texas.
Does this really mean that, even with modern rifled slug guns and optics, you couldn't manage to get close enough to put one down?

I've been sluggin here in IL my whole life.Last 15 yrs or so withrifled barrel, but even before that I had no problem putting plenty of brown down. Some really great deer.

When you bring high power rifles into it,IMO you can really loose some of the hunt. Deer really can't have a chance to wind you or anything when they are 3/400 yardsupwind.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Uncle Matt, I hear ya.
I have hunted for close to 20 years in Indiana and it's been all shotgun, untill 3 years ago when I bought my Encore M/L. And everything's been just fine.
I'm not saying that I want to go out with my Model 70 300 Win mag and bust one at 500 yards. Long range shooting doesn't really turn me on anyway. Just personal preference! Maybe it's because I'm not that good of a shot past 200 yards!!!!

What I want isto be able to bring out what I call my cowboy rifles.
I've had dreams about grabbing one of my 94's (like my 44 mag or 30/30) and go out and bring a nice buck, or doein and take a nice 50-75 yard shot onem and watchem fall!!

I just don't really like them saying NO RIFLES because they shoot too far when my Encore M/L will out shoot either of my above mentioned rifles by 100 yards or so.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter I think Illinois and Iowa are the same way. Shotguns only for deer... Stupid gun Nazis. One of the many reasons I moved from Illinois to God's Country. I mean... Texas.
Does this really mean that, even with modern rifled slug guns and optics, you couldn't manage to get close enough to put one down?
How do you reach the conclusion that since I like to hunt with my .243 that I couldn't manage to get close enough to harvest a deer with a slug gun? Idon't like the way Chicago's dumber than dirt leftist politicians control the state's firearms agenda. What is the point of rifle restrictions for deer hunting?Was there ever anactual incident that led to the "safety" concerns about the distance rifle bullets can travel? Was someone ever actually injured or damaged? Or is it just a theoretical concern held by some city dwelling gun nazi who doesn't know diddly squat? And, if it is a theoretical concern, then why would it be legal for me to shoot upwards at squirrels in trees with my .243 from the ground, but I couldn't sit in a treestand and shoot down at a deer? Why are centerfire rifle cartridges ok if chambered in a handgun, but not in a rifle? The rule is, simply, stupid.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

band together and changes will come