Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Hugh bear shot in Afton NY WMU- 4O-Truth or rumor >

Hugh bear shot in Afton NY WMU- 4O-Truth or rumor

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hugh bear shot in Afton NY WMU- 4O-Truth or rumor

Old 12-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hugh bear shot in Afton NY WMU- 4O-Truth or rumor

I live outside NYC and my friend's wife met one of her friends in a dinner the other day. The waitress told her that a mutual femalefriend shot a hugh bear with a bow in a cornfield in the Afton area. It looks to be in 4O rather than 7M as 7M doesn't allow bear hunting. It looked to me that Afton straddles both of these WMU's. It was further stated that it ran in some of the local newspapers in the area. If anyone from that region could verify this or give me a link to a local newspaper that carried this alleged story it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete
Old 12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hugh bear shot in Afton NY WMU- 4O-Truth or rumor

I received an email that stated on 10/22 a 500lb bear was shot(arrowed) by a female hunter in eastern Broome county. I went to www.nyoutdoornews.comdid anadvanced search in the archive section by putting the dates for articles in November and sure enough up came the story which was printed on 11/16. So if anyone is interestedthey can read thisarticle.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:06 PM

I seen this bear that morning it was said to be shot. It wasn't shot by her, she is good story teller i seen this bear dead along I 88 "road kill". If i had a truck that day also i would of picked it up. there seams to be a lot of road kill bears in that area. About 3 years ago there was another one there also. Any one can prop up a bear and stick arrow hole in one. I bet if anyone did a post mortem check on it they would see it was road kill.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Very interesting I will pass it on to see what kind of reaction I get from my friend's wife.