Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Sighting in Slug Gun WHAT DISTANCE for deer huntin >

Sighting in Slug Gun WHAT DISTANCE for deer huntin

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sighting in Slug Gun WHAT DISTANCE for deer huntin

Old 11-06-2002, 10:41 AM

Default Sighting in Slug Gun WHAT DISTANCE for deer huntin

I have Semi Auto with Red dot mounted and will be shooting Remington 2/34 slugger rounds out of 28" barrell using IC choke. having seen simuliar setups Im sure I will be able to get pretty good accuracy out to 75yds.My father and I got to into discussion what is better distance to sight in for and he says 50yds and i was saying 75yds. We are going to bench rest it tomarow and get it zeroed in.
What all of you guys think is the best most common sigt in distance for setup like mine.
Thanks

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 11-06-2002, 10:56 AM

Default RE: Sighting in Slug Gun WHAT DISTANCE for deer huntin

50 yds for me.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:42 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>50 yds for me.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Ditto...Only I try for 1 inch high @ 50 yrds.

-Mike

Old 11-06-2002, 04:05 PM

50yds will work fine.

---
Live: Oregon, IL
Hunt: Knox County, IL
Old 11-06-2002, 04:30 PM

Go with 50yds.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Treestand,

25, 59, 75, 100, 125, whatever........

If your loking for maximum distance I imagine you plan on hunting field (edges). If you're planning on woods you're zero in would logically need to be closer. Whatever. I think you understand. I use my slug gun basically for &quot;field&quot; work and use a different short barreled pump for my &quot;brush&quot; work. ( To each his own? )though

Start with 50 or 75 yards out and see how far out you can make a decent grouping. Big pieces of cardboerd are great for this and enable your to see what's going on with all those clicks you'll be doing. You'll waste less ammo and time. Go out about 25 yards each time you up your distance. But leave the pieces of cardboard at each distance each time you move up. Don't keep moving and using the same piece. You'll be suprised how good you can hit a 3' X 3' piece of cardbord...way out there! ( I can hit all over a 3' X 3' board WAY OUT with my H & R Ultra ) Get maximun distance by getting a group YOU are happy with! Not that your Dad is happy with. Remember, it's you that will be calling which shot to take or not.........not your Dad. Then the real test of maximum distance and realistic &quot;sight-in&quot; distance is to pop up a paper dinner plate on each of the pieces of cardboard. By having worked up your maximum efficient range out further and further bit by bit you'll now have a better understanding of where that gun shoots at different distance and be much better able to have a &quot;feel&quot; for how that slug drops. ( Imagine you're a race car driver....do you only want to know how absolutely fast your car will go? OR How quickly it reacts all the way up to that top speed.........get it? ) Start closer and work out again. When you can't put say 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 on the plate, you're out of your maximium efficient range. The paper plate is basically a representation of the deer's boiler room. Now YOU will know where you should take a shot or not. If you'don't feel sure you'll &quot;drill it & kill it&quot; with that one shot, you should hope and wait for a better shot OR pass and wait.

With the Remington Sluggers ( I like them quite a bit and they're about $2 a box around here in IL ) it should really only cost you about $40 ( give or take ) to accomplish this.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

PLEASE DON'T &quot;THROW LEAD&quot; AT GAME! Be an ethical hunter and shoot within your limits.

Now.....&quot;Go Get Ya One!&quot;