Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ontario Deer Hunting

Old 08-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Ontario Deer Hunting

Has anyone here ever hunted Ontario? We are going to be hunting Canada for the first time this year... around the Stratton area, which is neer Kenora... ?
Does anyone know anything about this area and what to expect? I know it is not very far over the boarder...

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 AM

Default RE: Ontario Deer Hunting

Kenora area has alot of pressure now that a few pictures have hit the internet. Have heard abouta few unsavory outfitters in the area, make sure you do your homework if going through an outfitter...
Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM

I assume you are coming to the Rainy River District to look for whitetails? If you are, you shouldn't have to look far. I am not sure about the outfitters up here, but I do know there is a pile of deer including some monster bucks. The Stratton area (wildlife zone 10)consists mainly of open flatfarmland, mixed aspen stands and muskeg spruce or cedar swamps. There is alot of private posted land in the area but the farther north you go the more crown land, different zones and more cutsyou will find to hunt. NormallytheMNRhave sold only oneover the counter buck tag per hunter and then you apply for an optional doe validation tag to affix to it, but that draws over now (July 31st). However, over the past few years the MNR has offered extra doe tags to hunters on a first come first serve basis up to 2 per zone to a maximum of 6 per hunter, but I have not heard anything about it this year yet. If you follow this link and scroll down to this years hunting regs you can download it to view seasons, restrictions and limits.
Enjoy your hunt!

www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR
Old 08-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info TrophyTracker. I can't wait to get up there. We will be hunting Nov. 4-9.
Looking forward to having the opportunity at a decent buck.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM

Your definately coming at the right time, round here I find the first two weeks in November is primetime to catch the big boys chasin' the ladies. As along as it stays cool.