Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ontario deer hunting

Old 12-02-2003, 07:08 PM

Default ontario deer hunting

could someone give me a scouting report on Ontario deer quality. I am considering a trip and am courious as to the size of deer that I may be hunting. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 PM

Default RE: ontario deer hunting

Ontario is known to hold some monster bucks and does. Depending where your going to hunt and being there at the right time & place you can get a chance at bagging a huge deer. 2 years ago we harvested a nice doe that feild dressed at 130 lbs and this fall our hunt camp got a nice doe that weighed 115 lbs and i saw some nice thick body bucks. Hope this gives you a little insight on our provinces deer opportunity's im sure Adrian or anyone else from ontario can answer anymore question you might have.

Happy Hunting
Old 12-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

the hunting is great here.i hunt in the lanark county area and the bucks and does can be huge.the average mature doe can run anywhere from 100 lbs plus.the average bucks that get shot here are 1.5 to 2.5 years of age and the weight can run from 150 to 180 lbs.big bucks are common in the province of ontario and can run up to 300 lbs.the biggest buck here that won the big buck contest here was 238 lbs.hope this helps a little
Old 12-02-2003, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

Ont. has about 350 thousand deer , southern Ont. is residents only(farm country) and has the most deer. So I guess you will hunting central or n.w. Ont.(the area in between is mostly moose) and the land is bush and I do mean bush ( these deer don't know what beans, corn etc. is). If you are comparing Sask. or Alberta to Ont. we loose in amount / numbers of quality. I have shot bucks that field dress out at 200lbs. or slightly more in central zone, but most are in the 180/190 lb range. Our yearlings (1.5 yrs old ) average out at around 140lbs field dressed. (all weights are from central Ont)
Old 12-05-2003, 05:36 AM

could you give me any insight on the kind of antlers the deer have? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:45 AM

Where in Ontario are you looking to hunt?? Last season I harvested a 10 pointer which scored 104 5/8ths and it was an average size rack....i've seen much bigger out there just haven't gotten one yet!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 12-05-2003, 08:14 AM

Here is a site for some pictures of a real good deer camp in Ontario,, about 20 guys and 2500+- acres of private property on Manitoulin island. Some of the best hunting is found here.

http://members.tripod.com/Grumpiest/pics.html
Old 12-05-2003, 09:38 AM

We have had great success in Eastern Ontario (40 min west of Ottawa). For the last 3 years I have managed decent bucks. A 6pt in 2001, a 10pt in 2002 and an 8pt this year. Due to work I only hunt on weekends which actually means only 2 days out of the 12 day rifle season. So if you figure out the actuall time spent hunting you'll see that there are lots of quality deer around and fairly easy to find. We get at least 1 deer over 200 lbs with nice bones every year since I started with this gang in 1999. We do not do any off season feeding of any kind, but they deer always seem to be there.

Here's our haul from this year:

Old 12-05-2003, 12:47 PM

I dropped a nearly perfect 10 pointer last year that roughly scored 130 and field dressed at 200 lbs even. I get excited every time I check out that rack.

Mike
Old 12-05-2003, 01:26 PM

I guess it depends where you are hunting.If your hunting farmers fields and residential areas with small patches of woods, you can find alot of deer and some pretty nice bucks. If your hunting the big woods farther north, your less likely to harvest a deer, but this is the best time you can have in ontario, in a deer camp in the woods. At the camp, we have been skunked the last three years (missed/wounded a fair share though). Last year at the place 10 mins from home we got 4 deer, I got my first deer (a doe).

Quick Reply: ontario deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.