Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neophyte Seeks Advice

Old 11-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Spike

Default Neophyte Seeks Advice

Hello everyone, I thought I’d take the time to introduce myself. I am 38, married and live in Nashville, Tennessee. While I grew up with absolutely NO hunters in my family or circle of friends I’m dying to learn how and get started. I have no equipment and haven’t fired a gun since I was 12 and that was a .22 on a target range. Does anyone have any pointers or recommendations? Any hunters in my neck of the woods interested in talking to an interested newbie? Needless to say hunters don’t number among my group of friends!

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Neophyte Seeks Advice

liasis, I'm a long way from you, so I don't know how much help I'll be. But check your area for a rod and gun club and get involved with that. Good luck on getting into the shooting sports.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:10 PM

Welcome!

Start getting into the magezines they offer some great advise on just about every thing, as well as this very site, on the home page.

You need to find a area where you can legally hunt, look for some advertisments in the local paper and check out the sporting good stores (hunting & fishing) they often will post membership availiabilites on thier customer message boards.

Get you a good gun, there are a veriety out there that will do just fine, in fact there that has been a question posted regarding "what's a good deer gun" pretty recently here on this baord check on the other pages,2-5. In my opinion a 30-30 or 243 are good alround guns and will do the job.

Buy some good clothing and boots. Check out the hunting videos you can purchase in Wal-Mart and outdoor stores. Also there are some really good TV shows on TNN and the Outdoor channel. Watch, read listen and learn. If you have ANY question about hunting ask the members on this board we all have alot to share.

Good luck!

Good luck.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I can say that your best bet would be to find some hunters in your area that you could talk face-to-face with, and see what they can do for you.
I was in Nashville yesterday, and saw quite a few deer outside of town. 3 bucks next to the interstate, not very big though

Leland Bunting