Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The best method of using a cover scent >

The best method of using a cover scent

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The best method of using a cover scent

Old 11-05-2002, 10:44 AM

Default The best method of using a cover scent

As far as the scent eliminator goes, I feel the general concensus is to spray it on yourself and clothing prior to going into the woods. But if you have a Tinks #69 cover scent, where should you spray that? I have heard it is dangerous to spray it on yourself, so I have heard it is can be used on the surrounding trees or branches to help cover your scent. cotton balls sprayed with it, will work. Spray high or low? What does everyone else feel?

Trouserchili
Old 11-05-2002, 02:34 PM

Default RE: The best method of using a cover scent

hang the tinks on some over hanging branches that are deer snout heighth. The bucks dont know does dont pee on the branches, but they love the smell so much, it doesnt matter where you put it. just dont hang it too high. Place the scent in your shooting lanes, so the deer will be easy to kill, when his nose is in the air.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am no expert on doe in heat pee, but here's what i am going to do. Put out 2 wicks or cannisters with estrus, one about a 12" off the gound the other about 3 feet. Due to high and low thermals i should be able to cover most off with this, I as well am going to run a drag line to the scent wicks, so I will have it on the ground, a foot and 3 feet. Sounds good, but we'll see how it works.

Yeah don't put it on you or right near you, better to setup upwind of your location in shooting lanes. Another tip, is use regular tampons as wicks..cheaper with a string attached. Should fit right in the bottle, pull it out and watch it swell to max. airflow. My wife have has some she don't like or use and didn't cost a dime (unscented). I have heard this trick from many people who like or use scents.

Edited by - skeeter 7mm on 11/05/2002 16:32:16
Old 11-06-2002, 06:48 AM

Since I m hunting close to 2 nice scrapes, before I go to my ground seat, could I put some tinks # 69 on those scrapes?