Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Crab Orchard NWR >

Crab Orchard NWR

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Crab Orchard NWR

Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crab Orchard NWR

Anyone hunt Crab Orchard NWR lately? Seems the deer are getting quite scarce the last couple of years due to the doe only seasons. Anyone else notice the same thing?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crab Orchard NWR

I managed to get a nice 8 out of the refuge this year. What area do you hunt in?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted the first gate south of the visitor center near the bunker area. Shot a 2.5yr old 8 pt. Just seams like the numbers are really low the last couple of years. Do you notice the same thing?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

This was my first time actually getting a tag when my other hunting friends did too. I'm not as familiar with the land as they are. Most of them have been hunting the refuge for 15+ years. We did see a good amount of deer, including bucks. I think just about everyone saw a shooter at one point or another.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your input Matt, I've been hunting there over 15yrs. myself. I guess to me it seems low compared to how it used to be; then again they are trying to drop the numbers.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

A few years back they conducted a study on Crab Orchard NWR inwhich they radio-collared some deer to monitor movement during the hunt. One of the interesting things they observed was an 8 pt. that bedded and remained bedded, except to stand and change positions, during the 3 day hunt. This particular buck even held his hiding spot while two hunters walked past him within 20 yrds.!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

I live on the spillway side of Crab NWR. I have noticed a slight decrease in the deer numbers this year but I think it had more to do with the weather than anything. I know that the refuge deer did not move like they did in the last few years. I have seen a few very nice bucks on the public hunting areas. I read last week in the southern about a 22 point 191" buck taken in the public area on Nov. 30th.

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2006/12/19/outdoors/18544351.txt

I have also glassed a 200+ double dropper in the restricted area one evening before first gun season. I feel the rains we have had in this area may have effected deer movement around my hunting but can not be for sure.
Just my imput.
~Jeff
Old 12-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not questioning the potential there, just the numbers over the last couple of years. Not just during the bad weather. Just our groups observations over the last several years. Thanks for your reply & have a great holiday.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The same thing happens everywhere,The pressure is on,they hold tight.Get your nose in the wind and learn to move slow when the wind is making enough noise to cover your sound.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

The same thing happens everywhere,The pressure is on,they hold tight.Get your nose in the wind and learn to move slow when the wind is making enough noise to cover your sound.

Thanks for the expert advice, maybe some day I'll actually see a deer when I'm out hunting.