Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are deer scared of cars?

Old 07-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Are deer scared of cars?

At my lease I have this stand where another guy parks his truck about 150 yards from me because thats where he "likes" to park. I was wanting to know if deer would be nervous about his truck there. What do ya'll think?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Are deer scared of cars?

Yes! Especially when they look into your headlights from about 5 ' and closer!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:53 PM

If its a daily routine they will get used to it,, if not a daily routine they well be skittish.

There is a very large motel about a half mile from my house,, its on the road leading too the most active crossing between the U.S. and Canada. There is a treeline not 50 yards from the parking lot of the motel,, there are 3 does that spend the day in that treeline every day. They feed not 5 feet from the road every evening. Walk down the sidewalk and they burst out of there,, again someone walking next to that road is not a daily occurence. You can be stopped in traffic not 15 from them and they wont move.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM

don't think i would be huntn in that stand, with a truck that close. remember the deer are there 24/7, the truck a few hours a week,and big boys didn't get those big horns by checking upon danger, aleast, notduring daylight hours,sounds like your otherhunterisn't much of a huntn buddy, talk to the person in charge, good luck and hope things work out.
ORIGINAL: Patriot15

At my lease I have this stand where another guy parks his truck about 150 yards from me because thats where he "likes" to park. I was wanting to know if deer would be nervous about his truck there. What do ya'll think?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I see them feeding along the interstate all the time , and there are plenty of roadkills , so I'm gonna go with no . If they were scared of cars they wouldn't do that . Heck , where I live they post special signs that tell the deer where to cross ...

A small public parcel I sometimes hunt has trucks parked nearly everywhere large enough to get them off the street and there is no shortage of deer there . In fact , the best time to hunt that spot for me has been right around 9:00 am when the other guys are leaving , it seems the deer know what that sound means and start relaxing enough to come out of the thick stuff to browse .
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel it depends upon each unique, individual scenerio.

I know when I drive into certain areas the deer flee.

I know they do eat right along roads and such and get hit by cars like Kev said.

But I also know I was standing at the front left wheel of my truck and had a giant buck that probobly would have pushed 200 walk right by at 20 yards, not notice me, drop his head to feed behind a clump of weeds, take two steps out from behind the weeds, look towards me and the truck while chewing and didn't blow and run til I tried to draw again.

Yep I said draw again. I heard him coming and saw him moving behind trees - I could clearly see this was a shooter. I was at full draw when he came out and had about a 15-20 foot area to shoot him and all I was doin was drooling, bewildered by his massive body, massive rack. I had sudden acute buck fever and blew my chance at my biggest deer ever. I should have done what we all know - I should have just focused on the exact little spot of hair where I could have driven that friggin shaft thru him!

But NO! Dumb me was seeing magazine covers and interviews. This took place less than probobly 8/10 miles outside Chicago's city limit. I have never heard of anyone taking a deer like that around here. I've seen much, much bigger deer around here though. I immediately abondoned the spot until some really cold weather set in and then returned a few times. Passes on every deer I saw no matter how fat they were (I'm really a meat hunter) because I didn't want to do anything to spook him or have him shy away. I wanted another chance but it just wasn't to be. Thinned a few does out and that was the season.

Hey maybe this year! If he's still alive and around, he's gotta be a GIANT!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

If I'm out in the woods all day - haven't seen or heard one - they better be scared of my car that afternoon - just kidding - ha!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes the deer would be and are nervous about his truck being that close.
The reason that guy likes to park there is because he knows that every time he's keeping the deer away from you.
Think about it every time he pulls in to park he revs up his engine slams the door and makes all kinds of noise very loudly.
The fumes from his truck will linger around your hunting area for a couple of hours and if you see any deer at all, then consider yourself lucky.
If I were you, I would move my stand and get far away as possible from that jerk.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

P15 do you have any roofing nails, they will help your problem. Not nice but oh! well.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Well its not really all his fault because thats been the spot where he has parked for years but I'll talk to him about it. This is a new stand I put up and it will be awsome where it is i was just concerned about his truck being so close.