Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 This deer scared the $@#& out of me! >

This deer scared the $@#& out of me!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This deer scared the $@#& out of me!

Old 05-30-2003, 10:34 AM

Default This deer scared the $@#& out of me!

Hey everyone. I have never gone deer hunting, but I' ve been turkey hunting for a few years now and I' m actually starting to get decent at it. Anyway, this morning I was on my brother' s property when I started hearing this noise I can only describe as snorting. This snorting was LOUD and it was freaking me out as it was obvious that whatever animal was making it was moving around me pretty fast. My brother just bought this property and advised me a week ago that he has seen bears walking the property, so I was concerned about this pissed off snorting going on. To make a long story short, a deer popped his head out of the treeline 20 yards from me and I realized it was him making all the racket. He just stood there and snorted at me over and over again. I' m assuming he picked up my scent and wasn' t happy about it for whatever reason. So what' s the snorting all about? Is " snorting" the proper way to describe the noise? Is this common behavior? Thanks for your patience with a new jack. I' m planning on trying deer hunting this fall - up ' till now I' ve had enough fun with turkeys, but this new property is LITTERED with deer! Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: This deer scared the $@#& out of me!

deer usually snort(you used the right word) when they sense something is not right but they can' t really figure it out. So he probably knew something was there but couldn' t pick out your outline. Because I would say if you were turkey hunting you were probably well camoflauged but not unscented.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve experienced the same type of behavior from deer while turkey hunting also. I also agree with Bucky.... they know something isn' t right but can' t quite figure it out.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:47 PM

some people call it blowing.. just to nit pick.. they cant figure you out and try to get you to move.. probably winded you and was trying to find you
Old 05-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Matriarch Doe!

some people call it blowing
Yeah, that' s what I' ve always called it, too. And I agree with what Bucky said also. When you' re not expecting it, it can make you jump outa your skin!
Old 05-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes they' ll even stamp their feet while snorting. Once in a stand, I had a doe stare right at me for a minute or two before starting to snort & stamp the ground w/ her left fore leg.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

What' s fun is when you snort and stamp your feet back at them while they are trying to figure you out. I had a buck get really close to me, stomping and snorting, while I was doing the same right back. When you get bored in a situation like that during the summer, try it out.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I hear a deer snort, it may stay in the same general area. When I hear a deer blow, (that whewww sound) it' s always when he/she had made a decision to leave in a hurry, mostly with tail held high. To me these are totally different sounds. I guess we can call it what we want Paddy, but it probably would have scared me as well....Good Luck in your 1st year of deer hunting!