Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

to many hunters

Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: to many hunters

Alot of variables that depend on hunter capacity on any given acreage.
I would say your 4-5 guys on a 170+40 = 210 acre farm isn't too many by any stretch.

1st and foremost is it shotgun or center fire hunting(distance from adjacent hunter(s).

Are there AG crops and/or mix of woods or bedding areas within the area.

Any good trees that produce mast.

Any state WMA's adjacent to property.

Any food plots on property or adjacent property.

Any ponds,streams,rivers,marsh run thru property.

How you place stands in relation to deer movement and prevailing winds.

Last but not least what kind of hunters on the property whether it be 2-10 or 100.Do they like to walk,roam,drink beer,make noise,come in late or leave early,stink the place up,and generally speaking - Are they Slob Hunters?

Answer all those questions and you've answered your own question on your particular hunting ground/lease/farm etc.. My .02
Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Spike

I think you are ok. It looks like the hunting pressure around you is even to what you have. What you don't want is more people that would concentrate the pressure in the space your hunting, and push the deer to the surrounding land with less pressure, or cause all the deer to go nocturnal.

Of course, as AJ52 pointed out...there are a lot more factors than just how many people are around.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

no i dont think thats too many at all. opening day of rifle we had about 9 guys on 40 acres and the land around us was just as bad. basically if you even see a deer its a good day and if one guy sees a buck all week its a good week. i got so fed up i went out in the middle of nowhere and walked out 1 mile from the nearest road and daylight comes and i see 2 hunters in orange sitting out there. theres hunters everywhere but i saw 2 bucks that morning, you just have to stay far enough away so they push the deer to you.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 10.5 acres of wooded property with a cabin on it and I took my bro-in-law and his 2 boys along for rifle season one year.Every one of them had seen deer or had an opportunity to fill a tag.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I dont think thats too many hunters....