Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Grinding your own

Old 10-30-2002, 02:21 AM

Default Grinding your own

Part of the joy of hunting,I've discovered, is processing your harvest. I'm not very skilled at cutting steaks but I do know how to grind venison,thanks to the $40 attachment to our KitchenAid. A friend gave me some venisonburger with pork in it and I'd like to add some when I process my deer tomorrow. How much do you add and is there a special way to mix it in? What do you add to make sausage? What cut of pork is best to add? I have to add some variety as the end product is venisonburger and some stew meat (and of course the beloved backstraps and loins).

Old 10-30-2002, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Grinding your own

Buckstop
go to www.google.com and type into the search block "Sausage Making" and will get all the info you could ever read on sausage. hundreds of free recipes etc. I make a variety of venison sausage from an andouille, to a provalone and parsley to a roasted pepperw/garlic or a combo of all the above. Let you imagination fly once you have the basics of the venison/suete blend you need for the moistness. But you really do ned to learn how to cut the deer up to make the most out of it. Learn how to butterfly to make nice steaks, its actually easy. I am coming up to you neck of the woods on the 14th to hunt with some buds around Altmar, do you get out that way much, any info would be appreciated

10 Pointers
Old 10-30-2002, 06:57 AM

Buckstopshere. I have the grinding attachment for the kitchenaid also. It works great. I have ground and packaged about 26lbs of venison burger this year from 2 deer. I don't add anything (fat) to the burger. If you want the perfect complement to your setup, get a vacuum sealer. I also have a cheap electric slicer I got from my parents. This way I can process the whole deer and I know I've got my own meat cut to my own standards. I keep the backstraps, inner loins, and hind quarter cuts for frying or roasting. The front shoulders and any other good meat is sliced for jerky. The rest goes in the grinder. Then it is all vacuum sealed, labeled and frozen.

I agree with you. I think cutting up the deer is part of the experience. It is hard work and takes a while, but it is well worth it.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:54 AM

We always add about 1/3 of cheap hamburger to our deer. One it makes it go farther and two seems to help it cook up easier. You can buy different mixes from Cabela's or any of the outfitter stores for sausage and polish dogs, We have a sausage stuffer attachment that works great.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 10-30-2002, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

In use 20-25% Ground beef in my sausage. I do not use pork anymore. Pork will go bad quicker than beef, even if it is sealed. I honestly think it tastes better, the meat is more red and complements better...just my 2cents. I use a cure mix and then add the spices I like (Garlic, etc) to the meat. What I do is just hand mix it, then I fry up a small patty to test for taste. Hook up the sausage attachment, links and go!

Old 10-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check this site, order their free catalog.
www.sausagemaker.com

Old 10-30-2002, 01:22 PM

im going to start this year, it should be interesting

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 10-30-2002, 03:58 PM

Rodsmith; some advice;
1 Order french fries at the Altmar Hotel.
2 Go slow in and out of Pulaski; there are several 30mph speed signs and you must be doing 30mph at the time of the first one.
3. If you need help,ask; the people are friendly.

Thanks for all the advice;I'm going to practice steak-making with one of those hind quarters. And a little venison jerky fresh from the oven is in my future.

Old 10-30-2002, 08:36 PM

We used the same attachment, mixed in 1# of pork steaks to 3# of venison. Turned out real nice. I might try mixing in hamburger sometime too.

I buy seasoning for jerky from http://www.himtnjerky.com/

I just bought some sausage kits from them, will give them a try. The hickory and cajun jerky mix works awesome with my little indian smoker.

Good luck,

--Jim