Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Grinding Deer

Old 10-19-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Grinding Deer

I am going to grind some deer up. Should I get all of the tendons out of it? Thats the reason im grinding it, cant get all the tendons out of it. Do I need to mix pork or something in with it? I used to have a proccessor make some Hot Intalian sasage tasting hambug, and it was very good. What spices do you suggest I use?
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:56 AM

Default RE: Grinding Deer

if you trim dowm the meat then coarse grind once and fine grind second that eliminates alot of the tendon and tissue issues as far as spices depending on your taste buds dictate what I mix try looking sausage making up on line for ideas. As far as adding pork go to a butcher shop and ask for pork trimmings this is mostly fat with scraps of meat but the pork won' t overrun the taste of the venison which is what I like if I wanted pork sausage I would slaughter a pig. Good luck....
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 AM

I grind all of my own venison burger.I ground 54lbs.this past weekend.I add 15% beef fat to my burger.adding pork fat to me makes it turn after being in the freezer for very long(" just my opinion" )the beef fat doesn' t do that.
Course grind it once then fine grind it a second time works out all the tendons.we use it like reg. hamburger,for every thing.we haven' t gotten any from the store in many,many years.

have fun,and eat hardy.you know what is in that meat.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:24 PM

Thanks guys. I posted in the bow hunting forum also, and with your help, I am set to go.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:56 AM

Just to add to what the others have said you cam use 15% bacon/85% venison to make a good burger too.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I grind all my own venison. I remove all fat, tendon,blue membrain before I grind it. This is what causes " gamey,off flavors" .If you want to add fat add beef fat . I add 10%. Pork goes off after a few months in the freezer.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am surprised that you all add fat to your venison. The only time I add any beef to my venison is if I' m making a meatloaf
Old 11-08-2003, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Fat=flavor. Deer fat has a bad taste, beef fat tastes good. To add fat depends on what you want to use your burger for. If I am making dried sausage I don' t add fat . For most other uses I do. Try it you will like it Mikey
Old 11-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

i clean my grinder meat as clean as possible i don' t add any other meat or fat to it until i am ready to use it not always sure how i am going to prepare it if i make jerky or any slow cook style meals (chile,steaw,soup ect i don' t add any thing i add pork to most of my regular sausages and nothing to my summer sausage ,salami or bolagna when i make hamburgers for the grill i add some mild flavored pork sausage
Old 11-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fuzzjocky2 - Sure could use a recipie for summer sausage

Quick Reply: Grinding Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.