Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grinding meat

Old 10-17-2006, 05:32 PM

Default grinding meat

ok im not the greatest butcherer of deer but i have done it. anyway i was wondering what you guys usually grind (what parts of the deer)? and alsowhat parts would you use for jerky? thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: grinding meat

I grind everything but the backstraps. I get some beef fat from my local grocery store and grind it with the meat. I grinds better if it is chilled.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:40 PM

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I also reserve a roast or two...Yummy!!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM

how much beef fat per deer? and then what do you usually make of the ground meat? sorry if these r stupid questions
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

When I've ground it in the past, I would do a few chunks of meat and a piece of fat. We eyeball it. Make sure you do it two or three times it looks real pretty then.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:02 PM

Well, most sausage recipes call for half pork and half deer, but that's not just fat. If you are grinding 10 pounds of meat, grind in 2 pounds of fat with it. That would essentially give you 80% lean grind. Good mix. Just cube the fat up and mix it with the cubed deer. Then grind it.

Shoot, you can make anything with it.....It's GREAT in chili, sloppy joe, hamburger helper, bacon cheeseburgers, jerky, sausage......The sky is the limit. Whatever you can do with hamburger, you can do with this.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Yep...that's it right there. 80% lean is just about right. Personally, for my jerkey I don't grind it...I use thinly cut stips off of a roast, but I know a lot of folks like it gound.
For breakfast sausage I get pork trimmings from the market and put it about 75% lean. Sure is good stuff.

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Well, most sausage recipes call for half pork and half deer, but that's not just fat. If you are grinding 10 pounds of meat, grind in 2 pounds of fat with it. That would essentially give you 80% lean grind. Good mix. Just cube the fat up and mix it with the cubed deer. Then grind it.

Shoot, you can make anything with it.....It's GREAT in chili, sloppy joe, hamburger helper, bacon cheeseburgers, jerky, sausage......The sky is the limit. Whatever you can do with hamburger, you can do with this.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

You can also get sausage casings from the super market. Just ring the bell and ask for a finger of them. I use to make a whole bunch of different kinds. My favorite was a cranberry and brandy recipie. Shoot I might just have to shoot one with spots this week and make some more.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 PM

i used to go 10#deer meat to 3#pork to 1#beef fat ., that is the guide line i went with when i did it.,that was for the burger.,and it really turned out goooood!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:48 AM

I use 100% ground venison for my jerky. It stays together just fine, and the less fat in it the longer it will keep without refrigeration.

Quick Reply: grinding meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.