Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

MAKING A DECISION

Old 10-28-2002, 07:57 AM

Default MAKING A DECISION

SEVERAL TIMES I HAVE BEEN IN A SITUATION DEER HUNTING WHERE I RUN ACROSS A COYOTE OR A BOBCAT. IT IS STILL EARLY IN THE HUNT AND THE PREDATORS ARE NOT HURTING ANYTHING-JUST MILLING AROUND. I HAVE NEVER TAKEN THEM YET, AS I ALWAYS LET THEM LEAVE AND WAIT FOR DEER. SHOULD I/OR WOULD YOU GO AHEAD AND TAKE THE PREDATORS OFF OR CONTINUE YOUR HUNT?

RYAN SMITH
Old 10-28-2002, 09:13 AM

Default RE: MAKING A DECISION

If I see a coyote I'll shoot him. They are a big pain up here in ny. They will run deer away (spook). They're not endangered. Just like anything though you need to shoot them and make sure it was a good shot. Nothing worse than a wounded animal running around. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

In Va. a coyote is dead meat!!!! I couldn't bring myself to shoot a bobcat though, just not enough of them and they are resident animals.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-28-2002, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I've been turning down coyotes for the past 4 years. This year I'm shooting them. I've never really seen too many deer after seeing the coyotes, so what the heck... I'm going to make a little noise and take a couple of the buggers out. Last year I had 2 beautiful coyotes come in .. one was really dark colored and would have looked great mounted.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:46 AM

It would depend on what I knew was in the area. If I was hunting a big buck then I would prob. have to let it go for another day. If I was just out and didn't have any idea what was going to come along I would prob. have at it.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 10-28-2002, 10:04 AM

If I get a shot at a coyote, I'll take it. I had one screw up a hunt last week. He came howling in at first light. I tried to call him over for a shot, but he was too smart. He teamed up with a friend and they both went skulking off around a small swamp that I hunt. Not 15 minutes later Crash...crash...wheez...wheez There go the deer that were working in my direction. Oh well. I'll be back.

See Ya
Jack
Old 10-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have, in the last couple of years, started having coyotes causing problems on our land. We have made a rule that if you hunt there and see a dog, you need to shoot it. They will run all the deer away if you let them.

Hunt Safely!