Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stand ?? and rattling ??

Old 10-27-2002, 06:47 PM
Spike

Default Tree stand ?? and rattling ??

I ran into a buck 2 hours before daylight on my way up to my tree stand,he went into the tree line and I thought he was gone.
When I was about to climb up I could here snorting and I think he was stomping or something to.I had my back to the tree line still on the ground and this guy passed behind me three times which started to worry me,then he took off just when the sky turned pink.Will he return? And should I use sent Doe urine to get him to stay??
And about rattling,how do I do this?? My buddy bought some small deer
antlers at a yard sale and I`m thinking of using them.Just need to know when during the day and how often I should do this.I`m new to Deer hunting.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree stand ?? and rattling ??

He'll be back, he probably didn't know nor could smell what spooked him. Then as most bucks will do they vanish as the daylight approaches.

Rattling, is a very useful techinque. I like to rattle in late pre-rut through post rut. I always start off light and 20 secs or so. wait 30 mins. and bring up the intensity a tad and duration to 30-60 sec. wait and repeat every 30 min. I usually don't rattle until a couple hours into the day. During the rut I find midday 10-3 usually produces the best results, but have rattled them at different times. I grind and tinkle my anters instead of smash them together, when your in a tree the sound will generally carry farther, softer until you find the tone. Use the horns to rub the tree to simulate a deer rubbing and throw in grunts with each sequence. I also suggest that you watch the backdoor, many bucks will come from the downwind side. I always suggest to be aware of all your shooting lanes and range the distances. Be alert and ready to shoot at all times. I have had bucks sneak in and yet others come crashing. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for everything, twig snap, leaves rustling, rubbing, snorts, grunts, look for shades and horizontal lines of deer approaching. If you know his bedding area and travel routes, then pay particular attention to those areas for movement, but don't be locked.

Be patient and don't give up. Do not over call or rattle, if you see a buck you don't want stop and let him hit the road. If you call a deer in to a particular location and spook, move your stand or ground hunt bucks will become wise to you and education will prevent them from showing. Often a small change of venue will fool them into thinking it must be a true battle.

Old 10-28-2002, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tree stand ?? and rattling ??

skeeter 7MM has given a very good explination on techniques for rattleing. The only thing I could add would be; if you hunt with a friend, have one of you go down wind and rattle while the other gets at a cross wind from the rattler. A lot of times the deer will hear the rattleing and will almost always approch with the wind in his face. The person at the cross wind will get a couple of good shoots.

Lifes a garden, dig it.