Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling from a deer stand

Old 01-23-2005, 03:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Rattling from a deer stand

Dear Hunters,
After talking with you guys this past month I've learned alot of helpful things thay I plan on trying.THANK YOU. One is rattling. I'm in the process of buying a set of real antlers now. Has anyone had success rattling from a deer stand? Or should I let my son go up in the stand and I rattle on the ground. Where I hunt in Central Florida if your on the ground you can't see more than 30 yds maybe. I'm in the cypress dome area.

You folks are wonderful,
Chuck
Old 01-23-2005, 04:04 AM

Default RE: Rattling from a deer stand

Chuck,
I have had a lot of success rattling from a tree stand. I used to just rattle from actually IN my treestand, which does work, but this year I tried a new method. I shortened the string up that I use to tie my 2 antlers together ( now it's about 8" between the antlers ), and I used my bow pull up rope ( it has a quick clip on the end of it, but is not necessary ) clipped it on the middle of the string and lowered my antlers to the ground. Now I just pulled up and down on the rope and let the antlers thrash around in the leaves and crack together occasionally. This is alot more realistic, and worked on several occasions. Maybe this would work in your situation? Good Huntin!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Rob,
How much time to you allow to elapse between calling. Such as 15min 30etc.
Another hunter said a few days ago if you don't get a response to get up and go to another spot. Do you do that or keep on trying?
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 01-23-2005, 07:16 AM

I never move my stand while I am hunting. That's why I do alot of scouting, so I'll know the best spot to put it in the 1st place! I usually will start a rattling sequence that lasts about 45 seconds and throw in a few grunts while I am rattling. Then I usually wait about 15-30 minutes, while I survey the area with my binoculars for deer movement before I try again. I use a climbing stand most often, and if I see a shooter buck come in out of range, I will probably pick a tree closer to where he came into the next day. Rattlin doesn't always work, but then again, neither does anything else! Good Huntin!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, that's the exact same tactic I use when I hunt and I do it for a couple reasons. One, it sounds more realistic, you can actually get some leaves crashing and some thumping on the ground doing it this way, and two you create less movement in the tree by only moving a rope instead of waving two arms and two antlers in the tree in which you are trying to hide in. I've rattled in many bucks this way.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks guys,
It looks like most of you hunters have more success rettling than any other method. I know nothing is 100% or there would be alot more deer harvested. I'm going to buy a set of antlers this week and try it next year. Someone else said they like to use it toward late morning. I had success with the can this year So I could use the can at my best spot and use the horns at another spot 1 mile farther. What's your thoughts on this?
Thanks for the great advice
Chuck
Old 01-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW I checked out your webpage. WOW

I'm a little jealous
Chuck
Old 01-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck , I also use two different size rattling horns. This allows two different tones to the sound as both horns have a different mass making it asound like two different deer. Rattling is not heavy Clashing of the tines , but mearly a tinkling and rubbing of them. Hope that adds to the fella's tricks as well...BT
Old 01-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Adrian. Actually that was a big help for I did not know how hard to hit the tines together. I like the idea of attaching them to the rope. If you don't have deer coming after two 45 minutes sessions of calling and waiting would you keep doing that all day or is there a point that you say I'd better back off.
Chuck
Old 01-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Chuck7
I saw a hunting show.
Where they were useing a rattle bag and when the hunter
had rubbed it for a little he had a heavy string
tied to it and he let it down to the ground and
just keep dropping it up and down about a foot or so
up and down .
And it seemed to work pretty good.

Quick Reply: Rattling from a deer stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.