Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

the last stand

Old 04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default the last stand

Afterseveral permanent tree stands began to appearin the prime hunting locations in the public hunting area that I hunt, I decided to contact my local DNR officer. He has informed me that permanent stands are not permitted in public hunting areas (as is clearly stated in hunting regulations for every state that I know of), and that he will gladly take care of them if I provide the locations.

I will be marking the tree stand locations with my GPS this week and sending that information to the DNR officer. I look forward to these stands being long gone before deer season. To the tree stand owners, sorry for your loss, but thanks for showing me some nice spots to hunt this fall!

- Rick C.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:02 PM

Default RE: the last stand

rick, i live in MD as well, what public lands have you seen permanent tree stands? I have never seen one, thats pretty dumb of someone to put a perm. tree stand on public land. You will never know who will be in it and, like you saaid, it gives away hunting hot spots.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: geterdun
rick, i live in MD as well, what public lands have you seen permanent tree stands?
I have been seeing permanent stands at Monocacy NRMAover the past couple of years.

Last year, I had scouted for a couple of hours, picked out a nice spot, had finished putting up some trail markers, just to look up and see a hanging tree stand no more than 40 yards away. Pissed me off that someone would claim a spot on public land! Who knows, maybe they hunted that spot one time, but I wasn't going to get into an argument over a spot with a stranger carrying a gun!

I know I'm probably going to upset some people by reporting the fixed stands on public land,but I keep seeing more stands going up every time I go out scouting, don't want to get pushed out of my favorite spots.

-Rick C.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Rick C,

Is this post an attempt to demand respect?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Rules are meant to be followed and are usually for the betterment of all of us. I don't see anything wrong about giving the info to the wildlife people. That public land is owned by all. Now that's respect!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:27 PM

where i hunt is on public land. two years ago they made a law that
baned permanent deer stands in the county i hunt. to this day people still
build permanent stands. if the dnr catch you building a stand or hunting in one they will press charges against you.