Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

about this deer hunting

Old 10-24-2002, 07:06 PM

Default about this deer hunting

it sure can be hard sometimes....those darn mature does are hard to get one over on. You can have nearly scent free hunting clothes and do the hunting shower and they will still bust you some of the time. I don't know if it was my bow that smelled from the smelly foam in my bow case or the rusty water dripping out of my climber(i think rusty metal smells)...but this big mature doe busted me at 10 yards....the wind wasn't right...opposite of the forecast...and she came in from behind and caught me off guard and no time to setup for a shot...she backed up and froze not nkowing what to do and then snorted and ran and snorted some more...I'd like to choke her! I hate climbers....too noisy and a pain in the rear....trying to setup on a buck and every deer for a quarter mile knows I walked in and climbed a tree....climbers stink where i hunt! It's too hard to get in deep undetected on foot let alone carrying a climber through the brush.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: about this deer hunting

A lot of old does are sharper to pick up movement or odd shapes in trees than bucks.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN BUT THATS WHY IS CALLED HUNTING . NICE NAME BY THE WAY

bob dunning
Old 10-25-2002, 10:13 AM

Old does are smart. Sometimes I can have 6-7 does under my stand and an old doe will come in and be able to pick up on something.

I learned last year that there was so much to do with scent control including your bow, stand, equipment etc. I leave my stand in the woods that way I don't worry about it.

I spend almost as much time working on scent control than I do hunting. I think that if you do all the scent control steps you can get by with the wind being in the wrong direction as long as its not swirling.

I believe that the older does may be the smartest deer out there. Often that big doe will be the first deer to come in.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:13 AM

you know you dont have to go up in the trees, you can stay on the ground. just a thought

propmahn

Old 10-25-2002, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Had that happen last week. The funny thing is, She came in from behind me, not using the trails I was hunting. My smell spooked her, so instead of running back the way she came she ran cross wind of me. She then lost my scent and stopped to smell the air. Little did she know she was 30 yrd from me in an area that was a perfect shoot. I couldnt let it pass. I sent an arrow her way. Some times luck is on your side.

What really pi$$es me off is when you are watching a big buck working his way to you and another deer comes in from down wind of you and goes to blowing. Many a doe have been shoot out of anger when she would go to blowing and run off a nice buck. I guess it isnt to bad, meat is meat.

Edited by - burniegoeasily on 10/25/2002 11:48:44