Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HELP WITH HOGS!

Old 10-25-2002, 07:27 AM

Default HELP WITH HOGS!

WHERE I HUNT IN LOUISIANA, THEY HAVE SEVERAL FUNNELS ON MY LEASE BOARDERD OFF BY SUGAR CANE. THIS HAS BEEN GREAT FOR THE DEER BECAUSE THEY FEEL VERY SAFE IN THIS SITUATION. WELL, LAST YEAR, THE GUY WHO BOARDERS MY LEASE LET GO A HANDFUL OF WILD HOGS. THIS YEAR, THEY HAVE MULTIPLIED LIKE GREMLINS. I HAVE SEEN OTHER LEASES WITH HOGS AND THE DESTRUCTION THAT THEY HAVE DONE. I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT DEER WILL STEER CLEAR OF AN AREA THAT HOGS INHABIT.
ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS THAT CAN HELP?
-RYAN

RYAN SMITH
Old 10-25-2002, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP WITH HOGS!

More than likely this guy already knew that wild hogs drive deer out of the area. He probablly dont like people hunting near his land? Dont know? If your leasing the land you have a problem then and your hunt will suck. I do not know if you need a lisence in Louisiana to shoot wild hogs, but if you dont and they are on your leased land, I would be taking them out. If the hogs are going to cause a problem with the deer anyways, I would eliminate them if its leagal. If its nots leagal I would gut it out and hope to see some deer. If not, and you need a lisence for hogs, pick one up, make it hog season. After your hunting season, I would go have a talk with that guy to discuss what his motives were in releasing those hogs. Get in his face a little bit, so next time he will think twice what he does.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 10-25-2002, 10:42 AM

If ya can't shoot them(tastes great) look into haveing them traped. The nearest feed store will probablt know some one who will do it for free.

Hurry up and wait.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the wonderfull world of hogs. I know what you mean, I have some land in Turkey Creek La. Their a mess. I have a worse problem here in west Texas. All I can say is, have fun shooting them and try your best to avoid hunting areas that have been invaded by hogs. I know when they find a food plot they will continoue to return there untill it is gone. The bad thing is the deer do not like the hogs around and will not show up if hogs are there. I have seen times when the deer were moving in and a hog shows up and all the deer will go to blowing and run off. It sucks.

I have had this problem for 20odd years. If you find an answer, please post it. My only remedy is to hunt the hell out of them in the off season. It tends to keep them spooked and sometimes they will move on to other land. The only problem is others are always moving in. Once you gottem on your land you will always have them. Dont let it totally discourage you. I still shoot all the deer I want, its just that sometimes the hogs will mess up a hunt or two.

Edited by - burniegoeasily on 10/25/2002 12:01:10