Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Small Deer In FLA

Old 03-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Small Deer In FLA

that's the truth when it comes to hunting in florida especially with deer.
It is a major factor when hunting elk in the mountains or moose in the swamps.The work starts when a large carcass hits the ground.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

not as good as Iowa bucks
Old 03-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's why "us" floridians are better hunters than everyone else. our deer are smaller (smaller targets), which makes "us" better marksman and our terrain is tougher (swamps, poisonous snakes, skeeters, gators, etc.).
Old 03-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

I have hunted in St Marks and apalachicola and I have met the #2 guy in some camp ground in the wakulla area.

Bobby

I have hunted that area for11yrs straight. I hunted Aucilla WMA. It covered 3 counties, Wakulla, Jefferson and Taylor, all on the gulf side west of hwy#98.We camped at the St Marks River andhighway #98. I quit going when the State took Wakulla and Jefferson counties and renamed it FlintRock WMA and charge $200 to hunt.Before we use to hunt three counties andjust State hunting license and $25 WMA stamp. Aucilla WMA use to be 73,002 acres and now it's 47,552. It consists of the sounthern tip of Jefferson county and Taylor county on the west side of Hwy #98. Wakulla countyand the northern 3/4 of Jefferson county were cut out and named FlintRock (25,450 acres).
Apalachicola WMA is above FlintRock with 581,837 acres and covers, Franklin, Leon, Liberty and Wakulla counties. I believe Rusty-O-Ranger lives in that area.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

RH, thats where I was talking about, we camped out on the st. marks and hwy 98. Right across the st. marks river was a diner called Outz's Oyster bar where we would pig out on 25 cent appalachacola oysters and A $1.50 for smoked mullet, man that was just as good as the huntin trip. We'd hunt the wakulla flats and the otter lake side when the refuge first opened and hogs all over and found a bunch of nice sheds in the flats. I did get turned around at dark-thirty while hunting the flats and I finally met up with my friends, game warden and search party at 2:00 a.m.. I was out on the flats and I started working my way towards this light, the water was getting deeper and deeper, and come to find out I was actually working my way to a buoy marker. I could hear voices calling my name but the wind was not in my favor as I started working my way back to the voices. I finally worked my way to the game warden and I said, "man am I ever glad to see you". He told me that he had better things to do then to stay up looking for my a$$. He chewed me up one side and down another. The hard part about was everytime I chequed through the chequeing station, everyone would rib me. But I did get the last word in by chequeing out a 4x4 buck, one doe and two hogs. [X(]

Bobby
Old 03-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I believe Rusty-O-Ranger lives in Crawfordville.

Go to hunting map, all this will be on the west side of Hwy#98

Go to Map area to see Wakulla, Jefferson and Taylor Counties, this use to be Aucilla WMA in the good old days!

St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge - US Fish & Wildlife Service
Old 03-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy that brings back memeriors. I have several friends in melbourne and one in selfner that went last year and they were some what disappointed compare to what it use to be. One of them didn't even see a single deer from the stand. Hogs aren't near as numerious and have gotten educated real quik.

Bobby
Old 03-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

Boy that brings back memeriors. I have several friends in melbourne and one in selfner that went last year and they were some what disappointed compare to what it use to be. One of them didn't even see a single deer from the stand. Hogs aren't near as numerious and have gotten educated real quik.

Bobby

Yep, it sure does bring back memories!
When my wife's family moved to Fl in 1957, they settled in Seffner. We go to church in Seffner. We got married in Seffner!My father-in-law had a welding shop by the house and Don Garlits use to hang out there.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

reb...my wife and I were thinking seriously about moving to north Florida. I'm going to let her look at these pictures. This may have been the straw to break the camel's back. Great bucks.
C7
Old 03-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Alright guys...the jokes up, thoses are ALL GEORGIA DEER, WE HAVE NO DEER IN FLORIDA....Go see Stubblejumper north of the border, they have all the deer you need up there eh..