Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How risky  going into woods just before opener? >

How risky going into woods just before opener?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How risky going into woods just before opener?

Old 10-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default How risky going into woods just before opener?

I want to pick my camera up in the am, just after sunrise, to see if the buck i identified 1 1/2 months ago, is still working the area. Our ML season opens Sat and I am concerned I could screw up my spot by going in, but i really want to get the camera to see if he is in the area. I can get in and out pretty quickly but I will be going in just after sunrise two days (tomorrow) before i hunt the spot.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2002, 05:54 PM

Default RE: How risky going into woods just before opener?

You could screw it up hard core or you can not affect anyhting at all. You g in tromping around and leave a lo of scent on the bushes and near your stand, the deer will steer clear of there. But if you take the right precautions, get in, get out. you could do it. How much are you willing to risk? and it's Wed now, Thurs when you go get it most likely....hmmmm, personal choice really. Do you want to know if that buck is there? He may be there and not on film.... so if yo pick up your film and ghe ain't on it...he may still be there...and you choose not to sit on that stand, he could walk by on the opener. So look like you're stuck betweena rock and a hard place.

I didnt really answer your question, cause I thought I knew it when I started typing. (sure why not?) but then I got to thinking. There are many ways that this could go. So it's your choice, make and educated desicion and stick with it. Hope it helps at least a little bit...
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/bookbucks/NonTypicalWhitetails'>
Record Book Bucks!</a>
Old 10-24-2002, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not risk it this close to the opener.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would leave well enough alone and stay out. That bein said, if I was you, I would bring my camera. That way you can take a pic of you tugging on his antlers after Opening Day.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I would say just wait... Especially if you are planning on hunting that stand either way... I setup my opening day stand a month ahead of time, and I go there for no reason... and I have had good luck on many opening days... Good luck...
Old 10-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

I find the feedback interesting. Seems important to be extremely caustious. The problem with my lease is, we have no assigned areas, so i might stay away, but others on my lease are riding the atv's right next to my stand.

For example, I picked this spot months ago based on a rub line. The game cam showed a pic of a whopper, so I put my stand there. I have hunted it once during bow season, but decided to stay away until ML. Last weekend, one week before our opener, I found atv and trailer tracks running all over this area, then i found the stand, 15 yds from mine. Not intentional as I know he did not see my stand, he just saw the rub line and dropped a stand. Point is, on my lease, preserving the area for &quot;first time in hunting&quot; is impossible here.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

well...i grouse hunted alot of the land my friend and all the rest of the guys at his camp hunt on...and they still seen deer...and lots of them...my friends dad shot a nice buck that year right were we walked through and that was saturday and the season started monday...and sunday all the guys at camp shot their rifles within 200 yds of the spot where my friends dad shot the buck!