Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Risky" vs. "Unethical" >

"Risky" vs. "Unethical"

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Risky" vs. "Unethical"

Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Default "Risky" vs. "Unethical"

How does a hunter make a choice on takinga shot he thinks is "risky" and how do you think it differs from "unethical". I think there is a difference and some are no-brianers but should you take a shot you think is "Risky"? If you shouldn't take it, does that make it an"unethical" shot if you do take it?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Risky" vs. "Unethical"

I would say, if you think its risky at all, its to risky to take. I think we owe it to the animal to only make clean shots with no risk outside of unpreventable errors.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

If your not 100% sure you can make a shot, it is unethical! Don’t shoot! If you want to try risky shots, go shoot paper or 3-Ds.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:15 PM

I agree 100% with you Mike. I just keep seeing the phrase "risky shot" on here and to me it is the same as "unethical shot". I'm sure some will disagree...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Risky usually means that i dont take the shot.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I would suspect they're one and the same for each person individually. That said, I may take a shot you wouldn't or vise versa. So in effect, what's risky for you is totally ethical for me or something like that. Some people put the animal on a pedestal and others view it as a hunk of meat they may very well admire and hold up in awe, but it's meat. So for some, risky isn't unethical at all in their eyes. Now that you're totally confused, have fun and enjoy. We all know when we made a mistake or are about to. That's when you don't shoot.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Ok heres an example that fits into this catagory. Turkey hunting this year I had a Tom at 50 yards. I had a clean opening to shoot, and I knew I had good odds of taking that turkey. But I wasnt sure and knew it would be a risky shot. I didnt want to just wound the Tom. That would have not been ethical in my book and risky. So I didnt take the shot. I didnt want to cripple the bird and not find it so I held off. I have no worrys about that situtation. I did what my gut told me to do. It was the right decision. Even though I didnt kill a bird this year in Indiana, I still feel I was responsible in my thinking. Had I wounded it and it never have been found it would have bothered me for a long time...
Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with your gut not your desire. Yor guts almost always, if not alwaysright.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Dominant Buck

We all know when we made a mistake or are about to. That's when you don't shoot.
I agree with this statement.

I had an occasion to be in the turkey blind this year......and I had a shot at a gobbler at 30 yds. I had missed him @ 20 yds just a minute or two before.....when I shot through my blind (ok, ok...jokes begin here). He was on my right....and the only way I could get a shot at him was from my knee.

I had practiced extensively from the stool.....but not from a knee. It felt OK, though....and I let 'er loose. Perfect.

Had I gotten to that position (knee) and it not felt right.....that shot would have been "unethical". As it was.....it was "risky" (in hindsight). Ethics is that little voice in the back of your mind that constantly looks over your shoulder.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very well put GMMAT. If you feel iffy about a shot, right then and there the confidence level is not where it should be to pull the shot off. Don't shoot, period.

Shane

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We all know when we made a mistake or are about to. That's when you don't shoot.
I agree with this statement.

I had an occasion to be in the turkey blind this year......and I had a shot at a gobbler at 30 yds. I had missed him @ 20 yds just a minute or two before.....when I shot through my blind (ok, ok...jokes begin here). He was on my right....and the only way I could get a shot at him was from my knee.

I had practiced extensively from the stool.....but not from a knee. It felt OK, though....and I let 'er loose. Perfect.

Had I gotten to that position (knee) and it not felt right.....that shot would have been "unethical". As it was.....it was "risky" (in hindsight). Ethics is that little voice in the back of your mind that constantly looks over your shoulder.

Quick Reply: "Risky" vs. "Unethical"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.