Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

IS THIS GOOD OR BAD??????

Old 10-17-2002, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default IS THIS GOOD OR BAD??????

hey guys serious question here i went out tonight for a hunt i saw some does about 100 yards away. well i waited a half hour and slowly started to decsend from my api stand. i got all the way down and on the ground and two does came in about 10 yards away i was on one knee it was a staring contest for aabout 5 minutes. She finally stomped whatever that means and blew like 10 times she finally jumped up and they just got outa there. Should i not hunt from this tree anymore or is this whole area totally screwed now sense i got busted pleeeeez help guys thanx
Old 10-17-2002, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IS THIS GOOD OR BAD??????

Might give it a day to cool off but I think you can go back. I've been busted at spots before and seen deer again in the same area an hour later. Just make sure to keep your scent as minimal as possible in case the same deer return.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive shot deer with a rifle and within and hour or so a group of about 6 came through and dad got his...id give it a day or so to cool off if you can but if you want to hunt tomarow you never know what will happen...i dont think they are gunna run and tell everybody else lol...but i heard somewhere i duno the truth of this but i heard when deer are spooked like that they secret something and other deer smell it and know not to go in that area...but i duno where i heard it so i cant say how true that is...

Old 10-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like the others said if you can just let the area be for a day or two. When a deer stomps it is trying to get the object it sees or thinks it sees to move, flinch, etc. Last fall I spooked the same buck 4 times and ended up arrowing him on the 5th time 6 weeks after the first encounter, same path & area....however I did relocate a bit up trail, due to the last time he was looking right at my ground blind when he approached....he had me pegged. So if that turns out to be the case just re adjust a bit, I wouldn't right away but if you find them picking you off, then adjust.

Old 10-18-2002, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

When a deer stomps its hoof, it is a signal to other deer that something is wrong. At the same time the deer leaves a larger than normal amount of interdigital scent from between its hooves on the ground. That scent may be interpreted by other deer as a warning signal. Deer may also leave metatarsal scent (from the outside of their hind leg) when they are alarmed. Again this may spook other deer.
The foot stomp and head bob are the deer's attempt to get a possible predator to jump and give its position away. When they do it, don't move. If the deer can't smell you or see you, hold still, still. If you stay still for 3-4 minutes, without them seeing or smelling your, they usually forget you are there, or exactly where you are.
I usually tell my hunters to wait a day (if they can) or move to another site for a few days before using that site again. The same thing holds true when you call or rattle in a buck. If it doesn't see a deer or a decoy when it comes in, it usually won't come in to the same spot more than three times. They do learn.

If you have more or specific questions post a new question addressed to me here, or e-mail me.

Look for my upcoming articles in the e-magazine.

T.R. Michels, writer, seminar speaker
Trinity Mountain Outdoors
[email protected]

T.R. Michels